New to SCUBA and the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. I just got my SDI certification. I want to purchase equipment but there are so many choices. I am hoping that this forum will help guide me in picking out the right SCUBA equipment for my use. At this point in time I am just looking at recreational diving - but that may change.

Thanks, Robert

Welcome

Good luck in your search.

Some major on-line dive retailers, where you can check prices:
- Dive Gear Express
- Leisure Pro
- Piranha Dive Mfg.

Some large retailers that also have substantial on-line storefronts:
- Dive Right in Scuba
- Divers Supply

I find that there is more similarity than difference among brands. Choose wisely. More expensive isn't necessarily better.

The kinds of dives you intend to make will determine the best gear for you.

Thanks for the info. How is the best way to "determine " the proper gear for the kind of diving I plan to do? No COLD water diving but is there a difference between the equipment used in fresh water vs salt water?

Salt vs. fresh should make no difference; I can hardly imagine a manufacturer producing scuba gear that won't work in salt water. One possible exception; dive knives. If you don't rigorously rinse & dry them after diving, so-called 'stainless' steel dive knives will rust up. Initially more expensive but cheaper than buying a replacement is to get either a titanium (not just titanium-coated) or a Spyderco H1 (not all their knives are H1) steel knife. Those don't rust. Small knives are preferred by many over big ones. Then there's the 'sheath vs. folding knife' debate. When you travel, put all knives in checked luggage, not carry on. And if you get a 'scuba tool' (e.g.: for moving or tightening hose attachments to your regulator), but that in checked, since they don't want you bringing a 'tool' in carry on.

You may find it useful to hunt up some threads on dive knives. There's also a cheap but popular tool called a Trilobyte that can cut you free of entanglement and takes up very little space. The DGX Sharp Cut looks like a rust-proof alternative.

Masks, cheap or expensive, main issue is it fits & doesn't require much clearing. Take it in carry on for trips, so if your checked luggage doesn't make it, you've still got a mask that fits.

Get a brand of regulator that can be periodically routinely serviced at a local dive shop (LDS) in your area.

Richard.

Welcome to diving and Scubaboard. I bought my equipment too early as a newbie. I think renting different equipment for a bit so you can try it out and see what you like works better in the long run. To that end, it's also a good idea to work with your local dive shop (LDS) when you can. Many of them offer a way to test equipment, return it if there's an issue & will train you on use.

Side note: @2airishuman listed some great online resources. While I really like LeisurePro for things like fins, suits, etc., I personally know a number of divers who have had problems with life saving equipment from them (e.g., regs, computers, etc.). The most recent issue occurred this past week where a buddy bought a "new" console from them that turned out to be used. Surprise!

Welcome to diving and Scubaboard. I bought my equipment too early as a newbie. I think renting different equipment for a bit so you can try it out and see what you like works better in the long run. To that end, it's also a good idea to work with your local dive shop (LDS) when you can. Many of them offer a way to test equipment, return it if there's an issue & will train you on use.

I bought most of my equipment, used, before I started my pool session as a new diver, with advice from Scubaboard and elsewhere. There were a few minor mistakes but I am happy that I did not go through a "rental period" due to the cost and the poorer fit and quality that is typical of most rental equipment.

Side note: @2airishuman listed some great online resources. While I really like LeisurePro for things like fins, suits, etc., I personally know a number of divers who have had problems with life saving equipment from them (e.g., regs, computers, etc.). The most recent issue occurred this past week where a buddy bought a "new" console from them that turned out to be used. Surprise!

LeisurePro is a side venture of Adorama, who were originally a (film) camera retailer offering deep discounts and nationwide sales. They've been in business a long time, how long, I don't know, but they were already a big deal when I got started in film photography back in the 1990s. They are typical of the New York high-volume camera dealer -- low prices; fast, accurate order fulfillment. Pre-sales education and post-sales service are perhaps not what they are best at. I would not be at all surprised to get "B" stock when ordering from them (anything between "new" and "used", that is: returned merchandise, demos, items with damaged packaging). Most LDSs do this too but take enough of a hands-on approach to setting it up for the buyer that it isn't obvious that it's "B" stock. But yes, I buy fins from LeisurePro. I did get a computer from them. I would not buy a regulator from them. I have been pleased with the prices and service from Adorama/LeisurePro for years keeping in mind that there is a tradeoff between low prices and good service.

I bought most of my equipment, used, before I started my pool session as a new diver, with advice from Scubaboard and elsewhere. There were a few minor mistakes but I am happy that I did not go through a "rental period" due to the cost and the poorer fit and quality that is typical of most rental equipment.

My LDS (& a number of others) have programs that allow you to rent & gain credit for future purchases. I got 30% off a good portion of my gear this way. While rental equipment won't fit or be as nice as new equipment, I think you can get a feel for what you like & don't like. (I rented equipment at my LDS even when I was traveling abroad. They had better equipment than many foreign locales & the credit was a nice bonus.) I've seen a good number of divers on Scubaboard make the same comment...don't buy equipment as a newbie, but it's cool to show the OP multiple points of view. :)

One question will be 'rent what?' If you've got one LDS you use, and you'll only try one of a given type of product (e.g.: BCD) and have no frame of reference to judge it, or you know what they're using is not what you want (e.g.: you want a weight-integrated BCD, and the rentals aren't), then I don't see a big plus, especially if you blow money on rentals before buying eventually.

On the other hand, if the LDS has a variety of types, or you can rent different types from different LDS's in your area or on trips, that might be of worth. If you're part of a dive group & can borrow for a dive to try something different, again, there's worth in that. If you could rent and dive BCD & BP/W, splits & paddle fins (varied types), that would be sweet.

A BCD & dive computer are probably your big ticket items.

Richard.

My LDS (& a number of others) have programs that allow you to rent & gain credit for future purchases. I got 30% off a good portion of my gear this way. While rental equipment won't fit or be as nice as new equipment, I think you can get a feel for what you like & don't like. (I rented equipment at my LDS even when I was traveling abroad. They had better equipment than many foreign locales & the credit was a nice bonus.) I've seen a good number of divers on Scubaboard make the same comment...don't buy equipment as a newbie, but it's cool to show the OP multiple points of view. :)

::shrug:: Different approaches work for different people. There aren't that many dive shops near me, and I found that they didn't rent the gear I wanted -- steel cylinders, BP/W BCD, freediving wetsuits. There isn't that much selection in rental gear, indeed, many places only or predominantly rent gear that is manufactured specifically for the rental market. The only benefit I see in renting gear at first is that people who conclude that diving isn't for them after their first few dives don't have money tied up in gear.

I would caution new divers to be very careful about rental credit systems. There are few consumer protections in this area. If a dive shop goes out of business, or no longer carries your preferred brand of gear, you may find your rental credit to be worthless. Even under the best of circumstances, using a rental credit prevents you from shopping other stores or negotiating to get a better price. I've seen some businesses (not dive related) offer a substantial "cash discount" for people who aren't using a rental credit, further undermining the value.

::shrug:: Different approaches work for different people. There aren't that many dive shops near me, and I found that they didn't rent the gear I wanted -- steel cylinders, BP/W BCD, freediving wetsuits. There isn't that much selection in rental gear, indeed, many places only or predominantly rent gear that is manufactured specifically for the rental market. The only benefit I see in renting gear at first is that people who conclude that diving isn't for them after their first few dives don't have money tied up in gear.

I would caution new divers to be very careful about rental credit systems. There are few consumer protections in this area. If a dive shop goes out of business, or no longer carries your preferred brand of gear, you may find your rental credit to be worthless. Even under the best of circumstances, using a rental credit prevents you from shopping other stores or negotiating to get a better price. I've seen some businesses (not dive related) offer a substantial "cash discount" for people who aren't using a rental credit, further undermining the value.

I guess it's different where you live. I live in Manhattan & dive shops aren't often going out of business. We have a wide variety of ones who have been around for a while & @drrich2 they rent out equipment which they also sell from Halcyon BPWs to Oceanic BCDs. You can even try out different fins too. I've never heard of any of my buddies in NY, NJ, PA or CT having an issue with rental credit. I was really happy with my decision to do it in this way. (Even if you don't get a credit, I still think it's a good way to figure out what you like assuming you're in an area that offers rental gear you're interested in trying out.) A large number of other divers on this board have said rent first as well. The most important thing is you & I were happy with the way we did this.

Back
Top Bottom