New to SB and looking for feedback re:Blackbeard trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKFD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. Hope I'm doing this right. Couldn't figure out how else to post a question... Looking at Blackbeard trip and have read all the reviews I can find but they all seem to be several years old. Anybody gone recently that can give me some feedback? I have no problem with the "camping at sea" model. I want to eat, sleep, dive as much as possible and then repeat! And looking to do it as cheaply as is humanly possible without being stupid re:safety. Any thoughts?

I haven't been on Blackbeard Cruises, but I have been on her sister (albeit more luxurious) ship, the AquaCat. Bruce Purdy, the owner, always puts safety first. Oh, you'll have a great time, but it will be a safe great time. I plan to do one someday, so I'm jealous.

Some links that may help:

Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ats/495738-picking-caribbean-live-aboard.html

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html

While the reports are older, when Blackbeard's has been discussed on this forum, I've not seen people talking about much changing. You have some other options available at an uncharge; NetDoc mentioned AquaCat, but there's also the Juliet, Lost Island Voyages and the Bahamas Aggressor. I think Aggressor Fleet has a $500 off deal going that expires Jan. 15th, trip must be this year; time of year might put you diving off Tiger Beach/Grand Bahama, but if you read some trip reports you might find that's starting to get better reviews IIRC.

I haven't done the Bahamas yet. It's on my bucket list, so I follow these discussions. No disrespect to Blackbeard's; they're quite reputable for serving their market segment. To help you decide whether that's your niche, or you want to upscale things a bit, some links:

Blackbeard's vs. Juliet Live-aboard.

Live aboard Review: Juliet Sailing and Diving (Lionfish Derby 10/22-10/28/16).

Trying to Decide......

Have fun with whichever you pick.

Richard.

It's been several years since I have been on a Blackbeard's trip. One boat only had a few people & the other was full. On the full boat, it is crowded, make no mistake. Some meals must be eaten up on deck or in rotations. Pack clothes & such sparingly,... you sleep with what you bring,.. there is a small shelf at the foot of the bunk,.. but that is it. Your only privacy is a curtain across your bunk & the door to the shower or head (toilet). The beds range from teeny tiny in the front of the boat, to queens for couples. For a single, the bunks in the main salon where the galley is, are the roomiest for single travelers, but it is noisy & not much privacy. The forward bunks are the most private, but they are smaller than a twin. It's a give/ take. You dive 4- 5 times a day. In between they may set the sail, allow free diving hunting (if in season & outside the marine park), sometimes they will allow fishing outside the park.... Be aware that shade can be a premium on the deck,.. but you can always retire to your bunk (where it is air conditioned). The dives are within recreational limits. Typically there are no dive leaders in the water (unless things have changed),... but occasionally they will get in. Hope that helps a little.

I want to eat, sleep, dive as much as possible and then repeat! And looking to do it as cheaply as is humanly possible without being stupid re:safety. Any thoughts?

Oh, just to bring out a point from those threads, and since you wanted to dive as much as possible. Last I heard, Blackbeard's didn't have nitrox, Juliet did. I've historically heard Blackbeard's tends to offer around 19-20 dives/week, Juliet probably similar, AquaCat several more, weather & so forth allowing of course.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom