New to Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2c
Bonaire has some of the best and least stressfull night dives that you can find.

For your first night dive why not hire a DM to lead you. It does not cost much and will make your experience that much less stress and more enjoyable.

I always dive the site during daylight before I did a night dive there so I was familliar with the reef. The Sanddollar house reef is excellent for night diving but so are many others.
Try diving at dusk, it's slightly easier to keep your bearings on your way out.

My technique was to swim directly out from the shore to the dropoff.
Find a large visible marker (a large easy to recognise coral formation) at the dropoff and note the depth.
Descend to about 50ft and turn into the current.
Go very slowly, there is so much to see keeping the reef on the same side all the time.
When you have used about 1/2 tank turn around and start slowly ascending to the depth of your marker.
Return along the reef at the memorised depth until you find the marker coral.
Swim perpendicular to the reef and you will arrive at your start point.

Have fun, night diving is a great experience.

There are a couple things to consider on your first night dive...

1. Make sure you have adequate exposure protection. Consider adding a hat, or hooded vest to your daily suit. Or you could go from a shorty to full length.
2. Get a waterproof light. Don't to nuts and blow 300$ on a HID Cannon. Just get a waterproof flashlight... something like the Torrent from Princeton Tec is fine.
3. Consider taking a chemical light with you, different color for each person, or a Lazer stick. These can be helpful, but are not required. Most people stay closer together and just follow the lights.
4. Make sure all lights are off for about 30-45 minutes on the boat before you enter the water. It will enable your night vision to adjust.
5. Select a site where you can descend and ascend a line
6. Select a night where the moon is out and full, and there are few clouds
7. Use backlit computers if possible.

D

no chemical light..marine park rules..only battery powered ones,and take the batteries home when you leave island.Do not contribute to polluting island.
DO NOT use a line for ascent/descent.You can use it as a visual aid but do not touch,you will wind up with stinging cells in your skin.NO gloves,marine park rules.

Back
Top Bottom