New to me Atomic T1/Ti2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slydoh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently acquired a used Atomic T1/Ti2 reg. set. I already have a B2 that I love so I'm figuring out what to do. Advice is appreciated.

It's an early T1 first stage with serial # below 300. I thought it was a brass first stage like my B2 because it seems to be chrome but I called Atomics and they verified it's a titanium first stage by serial number. It also seems to weigh a pound+ lighter than my B2 with my scientific hold it while I am on the scale method.

So.... Cool. Seems the external body is exactly the same so I would just need to update (it's an old piston model) the T1.

I'm going to send it to the factory and here are my thoughts on a rebuild.

Full 1st and second stage service.
Jet Seat Piston.
Swivel 2nd stage hose. Seem Ti is only $50 more so... Do the B2's come with Ti swivels or does that depend upon purchase?
No environmental seal.

I believe there is an upgrade kit to manage Nitrox and air swapping although it seems everyone does it anyway. Is this worthwhile?

Lastly, once I get this all done should I keep it? I am a recreational diver and honestly don't get to travel that much. I've never paid more for baggage and my B2 has always performed perfectly.

Seems I could get 400+ for my B2. With the upgrades I could problably get close to a grand for the Ti reg. But I doubt I'll end up with an inherited Ti reg. again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Simon

The upgrade kit costs something like $300+. My suggestion would be to upgrade the piston to a monel piston and enviro seal it. Then use it for air/nitrox. I have done that with three other regs. That will run ~$120.

As for second stage. Put a new exhaust and purge cover on it. For hose, the SS will be fine.

Why the environmental seal for NITROX? Since outside air won't get inside the reg and would have a lower O2 level I don't understand why this would help. It's the higher 02 from the NITROX that may spark a fire from hydrocarbons left over from poor air fills. What am I missing? Or are you just suggesting that I get it sealed.

I get the Monel part but those can be used with pure O2 which I will never do with this reg. but rather safe than sorry.

Thanks

I suggested the environmental sealing just because it is possible for outside crap to get into the first stage. The possibility is slim but just to hedge your bets. Same with the monel piston. Sure you can use the SS piston and not seal it but then I would probably spending more time assuring it remains clean. AA recommends that if using the Ti reg for both air/nitrox on has a monel piston, hp seat retainer, swivel port retainer, and yoke inlet as well as sealing it. So I split difference a bit and go from there.

Also take into account that at some point one needs to replace the piston so might as well spend a few $$ more for the monel and be done with it.

To me, the best reason for keeping the T1 is is corrosion resistance. Just as true for the occasional diver who "might" put a reg away with a little salt dampness. To me (notwithstanding AA's recommendation) the monel vs SS piston is six of one, half a dozen of the other. But environmental sealing is the best thing since sliced bread for a piston. Just rinse off the outside and you're done with your first stage! No crap inside your first stage. I took apart one $1600 Ti first stage and saw a whole slew of vertical scratches in the body where sand had gotten caught in the grease of the piston o-ring. Heartbreaking! You can eliminate that with environmental sealing. That rig will stay shiny and perfect for decades.
Get a jet seat piston of any flavor and seal it and keep it!

So seal it and go with the Monel piston and keep it.

Sounds like my B2 will be up for sale soon.
Thanks for all the advice.

Used regs don't bring in as much $ as you might think, plus there's nothing wrong with keeping a back up 'save-a-dive' reg set, so if it were me I'd just keep both sets.

Back
Top Bottom