New to Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamermaid

Reaction score
Hello ,
I'm moving from Seattle , WA to Tallahassee , FL ....so any idea about a good place to dive near Tallahassee ?
and if someone is living there plz let me know more about the city
Thanks & happy diving :)

Ewww... Tallahassee... did you know Florida's Second rate University was there before you choose to move???

Anyway, Vortex Springs is pretty close to Tally, Panama City is about 2 hours away (I think) you can dive at St. Andrews Jetty and there's also a decent dive shop out there (Hydrospace I believe).

Welcome to Florida, don't forget your sunglasses :wink:

Ben

Before anything, you'll have to learn about the Rivalry between the FSU Seminoles and the Florida Gators (University of Florida in Gainesville). We have one of those mixed families, so Thanksgiving (when the two teams usually play) is an interesting family gathering....

I was a transplanted Gator living in Tallahassee for several years. I had a Gator license plate, even, and I got out alive. Still have family there.

If you bike (bicycle), there's a good rails-to-trails bike trail south of the city that goes down to St. Marks where you can stop and have oysters and smoked mullet spread at Posey's - a very "colorful" place (don't be intimidated by the Harleys out front) - and check out the St. Mark's lighthouse...

Meanwhile, you're not far from the best beaches in Florida - Alligator Point, St. George Island, Destin, Greyton Beach (a tiny town between two state parks that are on the beach... really cute place), Cape San Blas (a must - at the end of the Cape is a state park - camp on the beach! wonderful wonderful) - Panama City beach, etc....

I didn't do a lot of diving while I was in Tallahasee, but Destin is a popular spot for diving. I went there once with a friend when she was certified. If you look at map of the topography of the ocean floor around Florida, you'll see that the continental shelf extends out pretty far - that means there's a lot of sandy bottom. Mostly you'll find man-made reefs to dive on.

Welcome to Florida, from a true Florida cracker. Hope you are happy in your new home.

If you look at map of the topography of the ocean floor around Florida, you'll see that the continental shelf extends out pretty far
To expand on this: From what I saw on a navigation map the other day, the deepest point within about 20 miles off the coast of NW FL. was at 23 fathoms (about 70 feet)

Vortex and Morrison are not too far away and are very fun sites.

Lots of spring diving to the south east.

Have fun!

Peter

From the Gainesville area. I am not a football fan, so I won't get into the FSU/UF thing.:mean: I have been to the panhandle and it is a wonderful place. Being in Tallahassee also means you are fairly close to the springs around me here as well (Ginnie, Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, Troy, Royal...). Enjoy Florida- there's lots to do and see here.

Maybe you should know what you're looking at before commenting on it. You can go out of Panama City, FL. Which, by the way, is in the heart of NW Florida. From P.C., you can go out 11 miles and hit 100 feet. 1 fathom=6 feet. 23 fathoms =138ft.

Gibbon:
To expand on this: From what I saw on a navigation map the other day, the deepest point within about 20 miles off the coast of NW FL. was at 23 fathoms (about 70 feet)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom