New to dry suits - how long is the learning curb??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

I;m new to diving dry suits & cold water. Now I'm converting from a vacation www diver who looks longingly at dry gear --to a year round local diver:D!! Took a padi cert class a few weeks ago, did two dives to 50ft using the suit for buoyancy. It all went good.

Spent some time in a pool practicing, then went out yesterday, dropped a little weight and did two more dives to 57ft and used the DS inflator just to minimize the suit squeeze and the BC for the rest.

I;m pretty graceful in my 3mm in warm water and have pretty good buoyancy-but the DS is a bit trickier I feel comparatively quite awkward (almost like a beginner again)

It;s going well enough to feel that I can do easy dives w/local experienced divers just wondering how long I can expect this learning curb to last until I feel as comfortable diving the DS as I do in a wetsuit:shakehead:??

I know ach person leans at a different pace but Id love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

In the end it will be worth the break in period.

I;m just excited about the local diving & a little bit impatient to do something more than stumble!!

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of drysuit diving! How long it takes to get used to it is very individual. It only took me about a dozen dives or so. Like you, I was originally taught to use the drysuit for buoyancy control. After changing instructors, I found why that's not really a good idea, although understandable to teach; to keep a drysuit newbie from feeling overwhemed by having to manage a bunch of air spaces at one time. When using as drysuit for buoyancy,.. a drysuit doesn't dump air as quickly as a BC & the area in which the air bubble is in is much larger, making for a longer time to travel up to the exhaust valve. In general it can be much slower in reaction than a BC. Any more I just put enough air in the suit to loft the undergarment for warmth & to keep a majority of the squeeze off. I keep the exhaust valve in auto dump & generally let it adjust itself as I acend (ocaisionally lifting the arm to facilitate a quicker dump of air when needed). I use the BC for what it is designed for,... buoyancy control. Just keep practicing, it'll come.

congrats i agree use your BCD for buoyancy and the drysuit use just enuff air to reduce squizz it makes it much more comfortable on assents and easyer. i am also new and by the 4 or 5 dive i felt much better in it. by 10 dives you should be comfortable and dive with easy by 25 dives you should be diving like a pro in it without even thinking about it
just keep diving in it and practice is alot of fun

They are fairly easy to learn, some are easier than others to learn bubble management(Whites Fusion). We actually have a promo right now that if you buy a drysuit, we will pay up to $200 for your drysuit class, so you can pick your local instructor, and we will pay for your class :D

Kathydee,

I agree with tstormdiver. I had read on SB that the recommendation was to inflate your DS only enough to relieve the squeeze (and get that nice toasty warm feeling back) so I only used the suit for buoyancy comp during the class with my instructor. It only takes a couple of dives to adjust to going back to your BC for buoyancy.

Have you purchased your suit yet? If not, you might want to look into White's Fusion. It is soooooo easy. Turn your right shoulder down occasionally as you ascend. Occasionally vent your BC. Thats it! I have been told that I should have had to dive on another brand of DS so I could fully appreciate how nice the Fusion is.

Actually, I have found the most difficult thing to learn is what it is like to not be cold for an hour (or more) after the dive :)

Another half dozen dives or so and you are likely to have times during the dive that you forget about the suit and are just focused on the dive.

Dan

I picked up my fusion from Mike (see above) and immediately jumped in a local mine pit and felt pretty much as though I was diving my wet suit. the only thing I had to do was get used to moving air if I went head down (which I like to do for amusement on deco stops sometimes). Thats a simple trick to learn. other then that I was diving twin tanks to 150' after 3 dives I think so it all seemed pretty simple to pick up.

They are fairly easy to learn, some are easier than others to learn bubble management(Whites Fusion). We actually have a promo right now that if you buy a drysuit, we will pay up to $200 for your drysuit class, so you can pick your local instructor, and we will pay for your class :D

You all are killing me with temptation. The Fusion was the suit I really wanted- read lots of reviews & dreamed.

But am a grad student with limited funds- so when I found a 2007 flex 50/50 DUI on craigs list (gently used only 20 times & in fantastic condition) w/undergarmet/hood/
full weights/hangers/boots for $600, I couldn't resist.

But add new seals, the cost of DS class & the $$ isn't very far off. Darn - now you tell me !!

Does anyone want to buy a DUI size small womens DS :) - oh too late already paid for the DS class & cut/dove the new seals :depressed:.

BTW last two dives I did use the method of inflating the suit just to reduce the squeeze and then used the BC

Last edited:
Does anyone want to buy a DUI size small womens DS :) - oh too late already paid for the DS class :depressed:.

Shhhhh....I didnt hear that:shocked2:.......PM me and we can go over the details for this situation..... let me know if you decide to sell yours or to keep it in addition to your fusion to start your collection of outdated suits:D (yes, its REALLY that good!)

A couple dozen dives should make you comfortable in the suit. Another couple dozen and you should be diving it like a pro, as well or better than in your wet suit.

I only dive wet when the water is so warm that I must. Much prefer dry diving.

theskull

You all are killing me with temptation. The Fusion was the suit I really wanted- read lots of reviews & dreamed.

But am a grad student with limited funds- so when I found a 2007 flex 50/50 DUI on craigs list (gently used only 20 times & in fantastic condition) w/undergarmet/hood/
full weights/hangers/boots for $600, I couldn't resist.

But add new seals, the cost of DS class & the $$ isn't very far off. Darn - now you tell me !!

Does anyone want to buy a DUI size small womens DS :) - oh too late already paid for the DS class :depressed:.

BTW last two dives I did use the method of inflating the suit just to reduce the squeeze and then used the BC

You'll have no regrets there. The DUI 50/50 is a fantastic suit, especially ideal for a CA diver.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom