new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am moving to Tampa Fl and I am going to get certified. I have wanted to dive for a long time, I'm in the Air Force and have never been stationed in a location to really get started. I now have a chance and I'm going to take full advantage. My question is....does anyone know a good dive shop I can go to for lessons? Also what should I ecpect to spend on the lessons and equipment? I'm not really concerned about price but I don't want to spend a small fortune either. Thanks!

Jeff

They are located in Hudson, Florida which isn't far from Tampa. Jill Hienerth is a great instructor. www.scubawest.net

Hey Jeff,
When you get on base check out the dive clubs. I know Patricks and Eglin had them when my nephew was stationed in Fla.
When

you get a chance, make a trip to the Keys the divings great!

Pocajunboy,

Welcome to the board from a very very ancient airman. You will find a lot of friendly folk here along with great info.

Both of the previous posts are right on target. Wendy's advice is especially good.

Enjoy McDill.

DSAO

Welcome to the neighbourhood.

I'm sure envious that you'll soon be living in a place that has "warm" year-round diving!

Just a quick suggestion. When your tour in Florida is up try your hardest to get stationed at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. If you come to enjoy diving (as I'm sure you will) then you will absolutely love being stationed there.

You may not have to spend a fortune, at least not in one lump sum. In my OW class, the first session was orientation & swim tests, so we did not need any gear. For the 2nd class we just needed mask, fins, & snorkel. As the class progressed. i rented some stuff & bought other stuff on the shop's used table. There are lots of non-rich people who dive & plenty of nice gear formerly owned by people rich enough to give it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom