New to Diving!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoodUnderPressure

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'm Matt, I'm new to diving, my girlfriend and I got PADI certified about a year and a half ago, and finally took a trip to Cancun recently to dive for 3 days. We got in the MUSA and a shallow reef the first day, a shipwreck (90 feet) and a deeper reef (60 feet) the second day, and Dos Ojos The Pit and Barbie Line the third day, and capped it off with a night dive that night on a shallow reef. We're hooked!

I joined the forum to learn about underwater photography and videography and equipment. I brought my GoPro Hero 5 Session and it overheated and died on me about half way through my second dive and wouldn't work for the rest of the trip. Luckily, our divemaster had a Hero 4 and sidekick duo to lend me. I got some phenomenal (to us, but not really) footage of The Pit and the night dive, but I think it could be better. Plus I want a more reliable camera, though I'm not opposed to getting a new GoPro.

Anyway, great to meet you all, and if you have any suggestions, reach out.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Welcome Matt and welcome to diving. The last decent GoPro was the 7 for underwater. Since then GoPro software has tried to be smart and try to correct the video themselves. Some things you can correct like dropping the sharpening. We used to buy red filters for them but when they try to do this too they overdo it and it reduces the limited light sensitivity of the camera. Nobody who regularly dives on Bonaire uses a red filter with their gopro any more. If we are going to correct the video we do it in post. GoPro needs to also put in a much larger sensor but they have refused to do this, with any significance, for years. They have a track record of trying to capture markets (like red filtering through software in the camera) and the drone market and failed badly. This is rather sad as their in camera stabilization is fantastic and their size is right.

If you want to get a small camera, although larger, consider the Olympus TG6. They are used all over Bonaire. Backscatter is a great place to buy the camera and its accessories ,as an example, and they advertise here. I have found them to have very good customer service.

Sorry for the late response, the holidays got me pretty busy.

@jonhall Thanks! It really is, it's nice because we can plan our trips.

@adiverslife great to know, thanks a lot for the info. I was somewhat in a rush to make a decision, because GoPro was having a sale on their site, but then came to the realization that I should get the right camera, even if it ends up costing me a hundred bucks.

That said, I was looking at the Olympus TG6, as it seems to have the best reviews for diving. I'm going to do some more research and ask some more questions over in the photography board. THAT said, I saw the Backscatter site and their packages for the TG6, do they have the best package, in your opinion? What about the strobes; should I get the package strobes, or are there more cost effective options? One last question (I promise): I was hoping to get a light in lieu of a strobe, so I could use it for night diving as well, is that a good idea?

it's nice because we can plan our trips.

Exactly. We are also lucky enough to have friends who we travel with - since 2008 - and the husband dives. As it turned out my wife had to give up diving several years ago, but thanks to traveling friends,I still have a dive buddy.

One last question (I promise): I was hoping to get a light in lieu of a strobe, so I could use it for night diving as well, is that a good idea?

Although there is a probably a FaceBook page for Olympus, I watch the one for SeaLife. I'm on my 3rd SeaLife camera and quit using a strobe when it fizzled out - now use a video light.You can maybe get some suggestions and see the quality of photos from other SeaLife users.

You're in a great state for scuba diving. The Florida Keys (such as Key Largo, Jupiter (for a regular or maybe eventually shark-feeding dive trip), and so much more. Welcome to the forum. I'm not dissing the Caribbean or Mexico...some really good diving down there, too.

@drrich2 thanks! We're on the west coast, which is great for sunsets, but not as much for diving. We're planning to get across the state in the coming months to spend a couple days near Jupiter. We would also like to get down to the keys.

I've been to Key Largo and Jupiter on the east coast (the 'Cobalt Coast'), but I've never dove Florida's west coast (the 'Emerald Coast'), but IIRC, they have purposefully sunk wrecks and such for 'artificial reef' making, and some people spear fish (which also happens off the east coast). Incidentally, when I was in Morehead City, NC (offshore deep wreck diving with sand tiger sharks; good stuff!), that's called the 'Crystal Coast.'

Am I missing any specially named coasts? Have dove out of California on one trip; has that one got a name? :D

GoodUnderPressure,

1. Welcome to diving and to the scubaboard community!
2. Great screen name.
3. You are misinformed about the diving available in your (and my) backyard. It's not the deep, crystal clarity of South Florida and the Keys, but there is lots of interesting life, great spearfishing, and a variety of interesting sites. The marine environment is fascinating even when it doesn't look like a travel video.
4. As drrich2 alluded, there is an extensive artificial reef system all along Pinellas County. Some are construction rubble, but there are also some wrecks, some barges, a bunch of Army tanks, and other objects--all of which are habitat for everything from grunts to Goliath Grouper. There are also small natural ledges: they aren't dramatic structure, but they have a lot of shootable fish living in them. And we have the Circle of Heroes underwater veterans memorial off Clearwater.
5. Water temp is down to 60 degrees, so this isn't the best time to introduce you to local diving opportunities (even though I'll be out for my last dives of the year tomorrow morning), but when it starts warming up in March, let me know if you and your gf want to do some local diving.

I've been to Key Largo and Jupiter on the east coast (the 'Cobalt Coast'), but I've never dove Florida's west coast (the 'Emerald Coast'), but IIRC, they have purposefully sunk wrecks and such for 'artificial reef' making, and some people spear fish (which also happens off the east coast). Incidentally, when I was in Morehead City, NC (offshore deep wreck diving with sand tiger sharks; good stuff!), that's called the 'Crystal Coast.'

Am I missing any specially named coasts? Have dove out of California on one trip; has that one got a name? :D

Florida's west side also has the Nature Coast, but there's not much diving associated with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom