New to DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gellosanluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there guys, my name is Paulo and I'm new to diving. I love the water and I really love swimming. I have dived once when I was in Samal Island in Davao. I'm now planning to start visiting different dive sites here in the Philippines but of course I need to get my license. Can you guys give me suggestions where I can get cheap dive courses? Another thing that I'd like to know. Do I have to take Scuba Diver course first before I can take Open Water course or can I just take the Open Water course straight away? I'll wait for your response guys. Thanks y'all!

Welcome. You can go direct to OW (most people do). Just a suggestion - the price should not be your primary criterion in choosing an instructor/certification course although OW certification courses tend to be priced similarly. BTW where are you located?

Pao gave you good advice.

To elaborate a little bit on that; It's very important in my humble opinion to not choose a course because it's cheap, but among others you want to look at the safety aspects, like in what shape the equipment is, how long has the dive business been going and what can you find out about their reputation, do they have oxygen on the boat, are life vests on the boat, what shape are the boats in, just to name a few. You may find that by looking at it from this perspective the course you will find may not be the cheapest one but what price can you put on your own safety/well being?

If it's cheap, than somewhere that money has to be made back and a lot of times safety aspects seem to be one of the first to go out the window.

Thank you for your replies Pao and Limbo. That was a great realization for me. Anyway, I'm located here in the Philippines. I'm looking forward to be diving with you guys in the future. Cheers!:)

Hi,
Congrads on beginning diving. I also dive/dove in Mindanao. If you are going to get certified in Mindanao, I would go to Surigao(PM Surigao Dive Club on FB for details). Combination of good training and a wide variety of dive sites from the shore you wll want to check out . I guess about 15k php, which isn't bad. For the absolute best training, Mactan Cebu Scuba in Marigondon(Mactan Island), with Instructor Edgar Estrera is where I went, as there was no certification agency at the time in Surigao where I lived. I think I paid 12k, but did not go for the lower price tag. The instructor is great, very smart. His place is right on the water, you can stay and eat there pretty inexpensive if you choose as well. His equipment was very good when I was there. There is a Gaisano a mile or two away as well.

If going to Cebu isn't a problem, I would use PADI MSDI Estrera. You will be happy, he has a relaxed teaching style and has done/seen it all.
Here is a link to his FB page, just PM him if you like for more details.
https://www.facebook.com/mactancebu.scuba

Welcome to Scubaboard and PPD.

With regards to scuba training, look for quality, not price. Whilst there are some regional variances in cost around the Philippines. However, within a specific area any variance in course cost is likely to reflect the quality of service offered.

Consider the following criteria, as a starter, when researching course provision:

1) The number of students per class/instuctor. (8 is the max, 4 is reasonable)

2) The quality and quantity of dive site/s visited during training. (boat dives or shore dives...coral reef or bare sand?)

3) The experience of the instructor (how many years diving, where they dived, how well qualified they are, how many students they've taught)

4) The quality of rental equipment used. Is it well maintained and fully functions... or threadbare, improvised repairs and often faulty.

5) The quality of compressor, which provides your breathing gas (is it tested/verified to international standards?)

6) The quality and type of dive boat used, and whether is is equipped for safety (emergency O2, lifejackets, first aid kit etc)

7) The duration of the course.. is it crammed in..or leisurely, with opportunity to practice and learn at a sensible rate? 3 days is low...5 days is high.

8) Whether the dive shop/instructor follow, or exceed, agency training standards.. or whether they break them or just provide the minimum levels.

Thanks you diverdorr68 and DevonDiver for replying. I appreciate all of your advice and that would be really a great help for a newbie like me. I'll take those advice in choosing my instructor. Thanks again! By the way Devon, since you live here in Manila, can you suggest a good instructor who teaches OW and tech as well because for sure after having couple of dives, I'll be planning on pursuing to Tec (I live in Pasig City btw). Just so I don't have to switch instructors. Looking forward for your reply. Cheers!:)

Thanks you diverdorr68 and DevonDiver for replying. I appreciate all of your advice and that would be really a great help for a newbie like me. I'll take those advice in choosing my instructor. Thanks again! By the way Devon, since you live here in Manila, can you suggest a good instructor who teaches OW and tech as well because for sure after having couple of dives, I'll be planning on pursuing to Tec (I live in Pasig City btw). Just so I don't have to switch instructors. Looking forward for your reply. Cheers!:)

If you're ever in Makati, just give me a shout and we can chat over a coffee. Happy to help any way I can.

That's great! I'd love to talk to experienced diver like you. I'm an average type of person and I get my money out of my own pocket. I work for a call center and I think my salary may or may not support this type of sport but I would still love to do it whatever it takes. I just got home from a trip in Hong Kong so most likely I'll have my OW course by November prolly. But it would be nice if I could chat with you sooner that that. Can you message me your number? It's Andy right?

Back
Top Bottom