New to diving, PADI OpenWater Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a buddy that lives in Brisbane. He has been telling me about some cool diving in your area. I definitely need to get over there and get wet.

There's some fabulous wreck diving in your area -- lots of great stuff for you to see!

My advice for you is to get your equipment -- mask, snorkel and fins -- before your class. Spend some time in your kitchen sink, breathing through the snorkel without your mask on, and then breathing with your mask on. If you can learn to control your breathing in that circumstance, you will have a huge head up on your class.

Come back and tell us how much fun you had!

There's some fabulous wreck diving in your area -- lots of great stuff for you to see!

My advice for you is to get your equipment -- mask, snorkel and fins -- before your class. Spend some time in your kitchen sink, breathing through the snorkel without your mask on, and then breathing with your mask on. If you can learn to control your breathing in that circumstance, you will have a huge head up on your class.

Thanks Tsand I swim in the pool with my mask an snorkel :) also thanks for the tips!
I will defiantly let you all know how I go :)

JakeyFlower, I want to echo what others have said, but also encourage you to invest yourself in the class. Read all the materials in advance of class. Do the knowledge reviews. Take it seriously, and have fun too. I describe diving as "serious fun." By that I mean it is a lot of fun, but it is also not an activity to take lightly, or casually. We divers love tyo dive, and love to be safe in our diving. You will do fine in your class. Get all out of it you can- don't just "get by" the book work to hurry to the water. Do it right and you'll become a good diver. Once you are certified, email me a mailing address at dennis@scubasnobs.com and I'll send you a little graduation gift!
DivemasterDennis

there is a lot of good advice in this thread. One thing I would add is to think for yourself. By that I mean, if your instructor tells you to do something, think about the reasoning behind it and if you can't make sense of it, ask questions.

The only thing I disagree with there is the advice to buy fins straight away. Fins are a very personal thing and what works for some won't work for others. There's no point buying a pair of fins until you've tried them. I recommend using the school fins at first and then borrow a few different pairs and see what works best.

Buying a mask is a good idea. When selecting one, buy the one that fits best. Put it on, breath in through your nose and hold your breath. If it is a good fit it will stay put. It is also a good idea to try this with a snorkel in your gob to simulate the effect having a regulator in has on the shape of your face.

Go and have fun... easy stuff.

Enjoy your dive.

Thanks guys :D

I also wish I had other dive friends that live locally I can go diving with :(

1 more thing when diving in an ocean is there lots of sharks :(

if you meet a shark, just tell him/her you know me. He/she will live you alone. I'm Chinese....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom