New to Diving New to Site, California/Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello my name is Robert Page I'm taking the discovery dive in a few weeks, any advice some people say they cant adjust there ears and they will never be able to dive is this true?

It happens but is extremely infrequent. Mostly if congestion is present. I've only known of one person in 30 years that absolutely couldn't clear their ears and dive. My regular buddy to this day has problems occasionally - by mid-week he's fine though. I suffer from pollen allergies but surprisingly we do a lot of Spring trips and I've never had a problem.

If you think you might have a problem, ask them to demonstrate the various ear clearing techniques, there's about 4-5 common ones. And go real slow and try one or more of them repeatedly if you feel any pain/discomfort - even as often as every foot or continuously - stopping as needed. Sometimes it helps to rise a little then continue down also - my buddy does that frequently.

Popping an eardrum in your area could be very bad - when the cold water hits your eardrum you'll likely get vertigo or severe disorientation.

If you do feel a little pain, it will likely ease at depth - which in your case will be above 40'. If you feel more pain, don't push it.

There are also OTC medications that help - mostly pseudephedrine (sp) based. I have a friend who starts on a maintenance dose a few days before our trips so he's usually fine on it. I'm pretty sure he takes Zyrtec.

There are lots or thread on equalizing on the forum. Do a search. I had major equalizing issue when I 1st dove.

It comes down to know how, being prepared & have patience. Most importantly is do not push it as I did. If u just cannot, aborting the dive is no big deal.

I use the docs proplug now that gave me an edge over others even on multiple days with multiple dives. All other tricks discussed in forum from drops to techniques are all helpful.

Start practicing now. Equalize frequent & early, some consider the moment head gets wet. Also work out ur ears on the way to the site.

Have fun & tell us about the conditions in CA section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom