New to diving, need some help on buying a decent regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok I finally knocked getting certified off my bucket list. I'm still deciding on whether or not to just buy or rent gear. Realistically I'll be diving 1-3 times a year, I live in central Florida (Tampa to be exact) so I'm close enough to the water but I don't see myself diving much outside of the Keys. Meaning I'll have to make a vacation out of it which limits the amount of diving I can do per year. Now I won't be able to buy all my gear at once but I'll start piecing together equipment as I go. I'm trying to do this on a budget but at the same time I don't want to go so cheap that I'll have to/want to replace/upgrade equipment all the time or just not enjoy diving due to sub par equipment, I'm a firm believer in not cutting corners in the beginning only to redo it later.

From some research/lurking I've been doing it seems Scuba Pro regulators are the tried and true industry standard? Specifically the MK25, now are all the MK series 1st stages good quality or is it just the MK25? And as far as second stages I've seen so many listed I haven't been able to gather which is the better one(s). Basically a quality regulator setup that will last for years and not break the bank.

Do you guys consider regulators an item that should only be bought new, or are these ok to be bought used? I'm figuring by the time I buy a used one and get it inspected, possibly rebuilt I could have bought a new one.

I'm not looking to buy just yet as I just purchased a dive computer (Suunto Zoop) but I'd like to know what I can keep an eye out for on craigslist, or for any upcoming sales.

I'd probably be better off renting I'm sure, but it'd be nice to start using the same gear so I can get familiar with it.

Thanks for any help

Realistically, most regs will be fine.....it comes down to what you want to pay, and whether you want a Cadillac or a Sunfire.

Nothing wrong with Scuba Pro regs, people that dive em like em. I prefer Apeks regs myself, XTX50s and DS4 firsts. You will find some really love atomics....I personally think they cost too much.

Hollis, Oceanic, Hog, and Dive Rite and a few others all make great regs that work in all environments.

If you only plan on doing rec level dives while traveling you could also have a look at Apeks flights, designed light for flying and such.

Think about cost vs benefit, try a bunch if you can in a pool or something....find one you like.

if you dive that seldom... RENT.... you will be way ahead.

if you buy you will need yearly service...

at three rentals a year you wont even break even on the service of your personal regs.

Scubapro makes good regs but they are expensive. For value, the Hog D1 with some classic 2nd stages are hard to beat. You can find the hog regs on DRIS (dive right in scuba), Divers Supply, and Cave Adventurers.

you can sometimes find bcd's in good shape for sale used, but a backplate and wing is sometimes the same price or cheaper. Dive Gear Express currently has a bp/w package for 320 new. You could save a little bit by keeping an eye out for a used wing and getting a plate off DGX.

if you only plan to dive 3 times a year, just rent gear. it doesn't make sense for you to own gear unless you plan to use it regularly.

When it comes to regs there is such a plethora of options it's not even funny. Like the others have already stated on rentals. Buying used is fine as well. As long as they are a name brand that's not several millenia old, having them serviced is not a big deal. I too love my Apeks. I also have HOG and they are great as well. Unless you have money to burn, and keeping your planned dive outings per year in mind, there is no reason to buy Cadillac regs. There are other less expensive regs that perform just as well on the market. Save your money for tank fills!!!! And dive more often dude. Bruce

HOG regs are a good choice if you have a local dealer. In your case, there are two in Tampa. None in the Keys though yet according to their website dealer finder. HOG's are nice if you want to service them yourself as the parts kits are readily available - once you have a tech certification so you can take the repair class.

Let's talk "tried and true" regs.

You can buy a MK25/S600 for $729?
Or the newest MK21/S350 for $599 It has some features optimized for cold water which you really don't need.
Or even the MK11/S360 for $399.
MK17's are cold water regs so I wouldn't pay for features you don't need.

I doubt you'll notice the difference in breathing between any of them. People here are happily diving MK109's that are at least 25 years old.
So there's no issues with long term SP reliability across their line - except for a couple of past exceptions.

All require annual service to maintain your warranty status. No idea what an SP dealer charges for that.

Here's where Atomic becomes attractive. The company was founded by two ex-Scubapro engineers who felt they could improve on the design. IMO they did. And I came very close to buying a MK25T/S600T once so had done the research.

Every Atomic from the lowest Z2 to the $1600 T3 breathes the same - the difference is only in the materials used. Every Atomic has a 2 year/300 dive service interval. Mine cost $60 to service.

A huge advantage for you is the Atomic patented their Seat Saver Orifice - when the reg is not pressurized the orifice moves slightly off so it doesn't groove or cut the seat prolonging the service interval. More here including a video: Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design Since the seat is one of the first things to wear it's why some mfr's require annual service.

An Atomic Z2 is $409. They're not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

A third "tried and true" choice might be an Aqualung Titan. A Titan is $360 list, A Titan LX is $460 list and a Titan LX Supreme is $490 list. All qualify for AL's Free Parts for Life program. Only thru an Aqualung dealer so that's the price you'll pay. The LeisurePro deals are with their equivalent warranty as they're not an AL authorized dealer.

Of course there are many other lower cost regulators from Hog, Oceanic and others. But we're talking a $100-200 difference - amortized over the decade you're going to own one. I just don't see the upside personally - but I have a $1500 T2 also...lol.

I agree with yardpro - in your situation I might rent. Find a shop either in Tampa or in the Keys with a good rental fleet - some rent low-end Scubapro gear anyway. Most shops either list what they rent or a quick e-mail confirms it. Most also indicate how often they turn their gear - some annually.

Maybe buy a BCD first - get one that fits. And you can build muscle memory plus custom configure it to your requirements. I'm a fan of back-inflate designs vs. jackets - most people learn on jackets since they're one size fits all - good for the shop - but later switch to back-inflate for streamlining and less clutter in front. In your area Zeagle is a popular option - the factory is in Zephyr Hills so you might find a used one in great shape on craigslist.

Good idea on the computer also. I have a Gekko - predecessor to the Zoop. I don't even bring the manual on trips, just the card for reference.

Last edited:
I bought all my regulators used except for one first stage (Apeks DS4) which was a shop exhibit for two months.
Owning reg is expensive as you have to maintain it but you know when it was serviced last and where it has been,
but I cannot imagine trusting equipment rented at dive destinations any more.

Egkid. With all the great diving in Florida, why do you see yourself only diving a few times a year and just in the keys?

To me this says that diving is an interesting pastime to you but not the passion that it us to many of us on SB. But that's ok :D

So next question, why do you want to own your own regulator? It is a significant investment in initial cost and maintenance. After the dive computer, I would probable pick a BCD/BPW as my next purchase. Unless of course you just don't like the idea of rental regulators.

That said, my advise is to buy new and to buy sometime that is easily serviced locally. With just a few dives a year and in warm waters, most any brand will fit your needs. Watching for sales is a great idea.

Ok Realistically I'll be diving 1-3 times a year...

Now I won't be able to buy all my gear at once but I'll start piecing together equipment as I go. I'm trying to do this on a budget...

I would suggest you start with a wetsuit; get one that's ideal for the water temps you want to dive in and make sure it fits you perfectly. A well-fitting suit that's right for your dive location is by far the most important piece of gear in terms of dive comfort and enjoyment.

Any regulator that's in good working condition will do fine for the water temps and depths you're describing. A used MK2/R190 or aqualung titan would be more than sufficient, cost less than $100, and could easily go 3-5 years between service, or longer, depending on how well it's cleaned after diving in salt water, and how well it was serviced to begin with.

Most new regulators are very expensive for what they are, and the annual service/warranty requirements are not worth it.

Don't buy a BC until you have more dive experience and have tried both a rigid Backplate/wing set up and a soft back inflate type. Or, buy a very inexpensive used jacket BC that is more-or-less your size (none of them fit very well in the water, IMO) and use that BC to get through a season or two of diving. That would then give you enough experience to evaluate the different styles of BCs, including the backplate/wing. You're in central Fl, which is one of the centers of technical diving in the U.S., and most of these divers use a backplate, so you should be able to find someone to let you try one.

Really, the regulator is the least of your worries. Dive shops routinely sell new divers WAY more regulator than they need, or even makes an appreciable difference in their dive experience.

It sounds like you could take advantage of your locale and try to get some good local diving in. Check out some of the springs in central FL, but of course you'll have to stay out of overhead environments. Have fun!

Ok I finally knocked getting certified off my bucket list. I'm still deciding on whether or not to just buy or rent gear. Realistically I'll be diving 1-3 times a year, I live in central Florida (Tampa to be exact) so I'm close enough to the water but I don't see myself diving much outside of the Keys. Meaning I'll have to make a vacation out of it which limits the amount of diving I can do per year. Now I won't be able to buy all my gear at once but I'll start piecing together equipment as I go. I'm trying to do this on a budget but at the same time I don't want to go so cheap that I'll have to/want to replace/upgrade equipment all the time or just not enjoy diving due to sub par equipment, I'm a firm believer in not cutting corners in the beginning only to redo it later.

From some research/lurking I've been doing it seems Scuba Pro regulators are the tried and true industry standard? Specifically the MK25, now are all the MK series 1st stages good quality or is it just the MK25? And as far as second stages I've seen so many listed I haven't been able to gather which is the better one(s). Basically a quality regulator setup that will last for years and not break the bank.

Do you guys consider regulators an item that should only be bought new, or are these ok to be bought used? I'm figuring by the time I buy a used one and get it inspected, possibly rebuilt I could have bought a new one.

I'm not looking to buy just yet as I just purchased a dive computer (Suunto Zoop) but I'd like to know what I can keep an eye out for on craigslist, or for any upcoming sales.

I'd probably be better off renting I'm sure, but it'd be nice to start using the same gear so I can get familiar with it.

Thanks for any help

On a side note, as someone who lives in Tampa and dives a lot you have plenty of opportunities to dive in the area besides the keys. between going out in the gulf (usually a long boat ride), the springs, and Jupiter there is enough good diving to keep you busy for a long time and all of them are within 150 miles of Tampa. If you ever feel like jumping on a boat some time, let me know and we can figure something out.

Daru

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom