New To Diving. Need Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DB83

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving, and I'm reading a lot of things about how some regulators are better for warm water while others are better for cold water.
Can someone please explain why this is so? What is the difference in the regulator when diving in cold/warm water?

Also, I also need advice on which regulator I should buy. I'd like to get a reliable and durable regulator for under 300 dollars. I would be diving in southern california mostly where the water is from high 50's to mid 70's.

Edit: By the way, I am a college student, which is another way to say that I'm poor. Therefore, I would like to be able to find a regulator that doesn't cost very much. I say my budget is 300 dollars because I want to know what I can get if I want to spend a little bit more, but preferably, I'd like to spend less than that.

DB83:
I'm new to diving, and I'm reading a lot of things about how some regulators are better for warm water while others are better for cold water.
Can someone please explain why this is so? What is the difference in the regulator when diving in cold/warm water?

Also, I also need advice on which regulator I should buy. I'd like to get a reliable and durable regulator for under 300 dollars. I would be diving in southern california mostly where the water is from high 50's to mid 70's.

Edit: By the way, I am a college student, which is another way to say that I'm poor. Therefore, I would like to be able to find a regulator that doesn't cost very much. I say my budget is 300 dollars because I want to know what I can get if I want to spend a little bit more, but preferably, I'd like to spend less than that.

Wow, this is a hard question to answer because there are no right answers. I myself prefer certain brands i.e. Scubapro, Sherwood, Poseidon, Apeks and USD. This shouldn’t limit your decision on a different brand. I’ve own a regulator from all of these brands over the years and certain ones I prefer more than others in certain situations.

Sherwood (Maximus ($375) and Blizzard ($299) and Poseidon Odin ($350) I prefer in cold water 45-55 degrees F. The Sherwood has a dry air bleed system that’s almost maintenance free. A Scubapro Mark 25/G-250($350) or Mark 16/S-550 $280) would be fine as well with an environmental kit you can buy separately. This kit includes Silicone and a rubber boot for the first stage to seal off the first stage from any debris; it also keeps the first stage from freezing. These are all fine performers in warm water as well.

Aqualung / Apexs are the same company and have been making regulators longer then anyone else. Apexs Tx40/DS4 ($325) and AT20 $(250) would be a great start. So would the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme ($285). These are very good regulators for your price point.

I’d start by checking out the web site of these companies and go from there…My son prefers the Oceanic Zeta CDX5 ($300) because of its light weight and high performance.
Hope this helps you on your quest to acquire scuba gear, use it as a guide but make your own decisions based on what you want.

2005 regulator models are just now coming out so you might want to consider waiting a little.

Poseidon8118:
Wow, this is a hard question to answer because there are no right answers. I myself prefer certain brands i.e. Scubapro, Sherwood, Poseidon, Apeks and USD. This shouldn’t limit your decision on a different brand. I’ve own a regulator from all of these brands over the years and certain ones I prefer more than others in certain situations.

Sherwood (Maximus ($375) and Blizzard ($299) and Poseidon Odin ($350) I prefer in cold water 45-55 degrees F. The Sherwood has a dry air bleed system that’s almost maintenance free. A Scubapro Mark 25/G-250($350) or Mark 16/S-550 $280) would be fine as well with an environmental kit you can buy separately. This kit includes Silicone and a rubber boot for the first stage to seal off the first stage from any debris; it also keeps the first stage from freezing. These are all fine performers in warm water as well.

Aqualung / Apexs are the same company and have been making regulators longer then anyone else. Apexs Tx40/DS4 ($325) and AT20 $(250) would be a great start. So would the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme ($285). These are very good regulators for your price point.

I’d start by checking out the web site of these companies and go from there…My son prefers the Oceanic Zeta CDX5 ($300) because of its light weight and high performance.
Hope this helps you on your quest to acquire scuba gear, use it as a guide but make your own decisions based on what you want.

2005 regulator models are just now coming out so you might want to consider waiting a little.

I'm just doing research for now. I'm looking to buy my regulator by summer of 2005, spring at the earliest.
What does the environmental kit do? Silicon? what does that do? Also, would the first stage really freeze in 50 degree water?

The regulators you listed were all in the $250-$300 range. Can you give me any advice on regulators from the $100-$250 price range?

DB83:
I'm just doing research for now. I'm looking to buy my regulator by summer of 2005, spring at the earliest.
What does the environmental kit do? Silicon? what does that do? Also, would the first stage really freeze in 50 degree water?

The regulators you listed were all in the $250-$300 range. Can you give me any advice on regulators from the $100-$250 price range?

The environmental Kit keeps water and debris out of the 1st stage it also keeps the 1st stage from freezing. You don't need to do this if your in clean water above 50 degrees. You can find info in their catalog or on their web site.

Personally I heard Mares has a few regs at budget prices that perform well MR12 Axis Pro $140 and MR12 proton $175. Oceanic has the Alpha 7 px2 $180, Alpha 7 sp4 $145 that performed well on the diver.net web site. I have never used the MR12 or Alpha's so I would do more research.

Links that may help you:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/the_mother_of_all_reg_reviews/

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm

Back
Top Bottom