New to diving, looking for buddies in central jersey, or an AOW course starting soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonJr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Recently completed my OW with Divers 2 in Avon but don't have any buddies to dive with! I'm a complete newb but very comfortable in the water... I surf, kayak, and I'm a former lifeguard. Really want to complete an AOW course before the temps drop too much but would be very happy just to get out and dive a couple more times this season. Haven't purchased any equipment beyond personal but interested in suggestions or quality used items too. Thanks for reading!

There are thousands of divers in NJ (like me). Get your AOW, go to Dutch, get on a local boat (like Blue Fathoms!). No worries about the cold - do what I do; dive one of the three aquariums that are within driving distance for you, or go to Mt Storm (you'll need a boat) during the winter. The best way to get buddies is to get out and dive, any way possible.

Reactions: RJP
Ocean temps are probably at their max around this time of year. Connect with a boat through a shop. Tell them it will be your first NJ ocean dive. They should set up a DM to go with you for an "environmental" guided dive. It is supposed to be required for a first time. Teaches you what to do and not do, and makes you more comfortable. Then talk to the folks on the boat and make dive buddies. Have fun.

Just make sure the planned dive is within your comfort zone. There are wrecks here from 20 feet to 200+ feet.

Temps at dutch at depth are still in the mid 60's as of this past weekend. I was up there doing my Instructor specialties for Wreck, Deep and Drysuit. There are many shops in NJ that can help you out with doing your AOW. I suggest Mid Atlantic. Tina and her staff are great to work with and a lot of fun. I got to interact with many of them during my IE at Dutch a few months ago.

I'm looking to head to Dutch, pm sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom