New to diving looking at possible career.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisNI

New
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some advice/help.

Little intro:
My name is Chris, 26, I'm originally from Belfast Northern Ireland, last June 2012 I moved to Canada with my wife as a permanent resident and currently living in Orillia, just outside Barrie in Ontario.

The main reason I'm coming here is to get involved in the community as I've wanted to get into diving for quite some time but due to money/time I've never been able to.

I saw the industry section which would be great to post this in but I cna't access it due to not being in the industry.

Since moving to Canada I've decided to go back to college and notcied a local college offers a commercial diving course:
Dive Course

Can someone in the industry or has some knowledge of the industry let me know if the course is relevant in any way please. I'd rather not pay $16k for a course that's a glorified rec diver and have to do more qualifications on top of it.

Also could you tell me a little about the industry especially in Canada, how much work is there, average starting wage, etc. Just something to give me a rough idea.

I have an uncle who was a commercial diver for many years and has given me some great help and advice but as his was mostly UK based and in the North Sea it's a little harder to relate to Canada.

Or if this is in the wrong place or could be better suited elsewhere please let me know.

Any help or information would be awesome!

Although I'm not a commercial diver i can imagine that that industry is very similar to mine.

Im a mechanical fitter on the oil rigs. and its not what you know. ITS WHO YOU KNOW

i tried for months and months to get on the rigs. every agency and employer wanted people with experience offshore, how am i supposed to get experience if no-one will give it to me?!

I spent £1000s going on courses and doing medicals to get myself ready but no-body wanted people with no offshore experience.

It wasnt until i started networking a little when someone handed my CV for me to the right person and here i am. The work is exactly the same as onshore work in fact its easier!

My point is i would use your uncles knowledge and contacts, thats probably your only way in. or start hanging around the pubs where the divers go :wink:

good luck

Here in the US the industry is crap. Well, in the Northeast anyhow. I havent dove since after the hurricane and am moving on to other career choices. Hope that helps.

Hi Chris;

I answered your question in detail, only to apparently lose everything. So my response will be brief:

1. Welcome to Canada! You live in a great area (I grew-up in Aurora and Richmond Hill);
2. I love Belfast. I'm sure that you will miss real Guinness (it's not the same in Canada, as I'm sure you've already discovered);
3. As I helped Bob Landry design the Course at Seneca and taught there when I was the Diving Officer at DCIEM in Downsview; I think you picked the best school to learn Commercial Diving. The Seneca program is 34 weeks and provides close to twice the training that most schools do (20 weeks seems to be normal). This was done by design. Seneca is an educational facility opposed to privately owned businesses that want to keep the money machine in operation. The training you get makes a big difference. Seneca students are preferred by many leading Diving Contractors. It's about getting the job done on time and on budget. Diving plays an important but a secondary role. If the guy can't do the job, his diving ability means squat.
4. The Diving industry in Canada is a positive one (although it goes in fits and starts). You have to critically examine where you want to work (on or offshore) because this influences matters greatly as to your chances of employment and your rate of pay. Either way, you will need to apprentice/tend and earn your place. Like many occupations, the initial starting rate isn't very impressive. I think that the average commercial diver in Canada made an average of 55K annually according to Service Canada (although I think that it was several years ago since the last census was undertaken). Many Divers do however work offshore and keep money in offshore accounts. Some Divers are fortunate and are offered full-time positions. Over time, you can get into mixed-gas/saturation, or become a Diving Supervisor or Diving Superintendent. I was fortunate enough to be the Director of Diving Operations (Asia/Pacific) for one of the World's largest diving contractors (Global Industries now Technip) making 350K annually plus benefits (house in Jakarta with Staff, Limo/Driver, company aircraft, etc.) So like most jobs, it's what you put into it, your reputation and chance. I guess what I'm saying is that a diving career can be more than just underwater welding...

Here in the US the industry is crap. Well, in the Northeast anyhow. I havent dove since after the hurricane and am moving on to other career choices. Hope that helps.

Being from Toms River yourself I was wondering if you ever worked with Tom Glover?

No I havent but that name rings a bell. Im not a union guy but I know alot of names and faces.

Although I'm not a commercial diver i can imagine that that industry is very similar to mine.

Im a mechanical fitter on the oil rigs. and its not what you know. ITS WHO YOU KNOW

i tried for months and months to get on the rigs. every agency and employer wanted people with experience offshore, how am i supposed to get experience if no-one will give it to me?!

I spent £1000s going on courses and doing medicals to get myself ready but no-body wanted people with no offshore experience.

It wasnt until i started networking a little when someone handed my CV for me to the right person and here i am. The work is exactly the same as onshore work in fact its easier!

My point is i would use your uncles knowledge and contacts, thats probably your only way in. or start hanging around the pubs where the divers go :wink:

good luck

Totally agree with you. I work in NDT and came across a few in the land based power stations who just couldn't get a start on the rigs. Even though they had put themselves through offshore survival and helicopter dump at their own expense. Not like six years ago. Definitely who you know. And experience. Just go on any of the offshore job sites at the minute. Minimum experience 5 years is all you will come across. Very competitive at the mo.

No I havent but that name rings a bell. Im not a union guy but I know alot of names and faces.

He used to work a lot for John Masters and Todd Zwydinger among others.

My friend worked for john masters before he passed away. Ill ask him if he knows that name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom