New to diving - equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkb535

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to diving (certified for 3 years, but have only been on 9 dives!), and want to get more experienced. I'm looking to buy my own BC and regulator, but cannot afford high end gear. I've found a few sites with low priced gear, but cannot find many reviews. Here are the options I've found:

1. a site called joediveramerica .com - cheaper BC's and regs (<$200), SCUBA packages (~$350)

2. scubaL .com - manufacturer/distributor of inexpensive BC's

Does anybody know anything about these or other distributors? I'd obviously prefer to buy high end gear, but simply cannot afford it right now. I'm looking to get more experience with recreational diving, mostly in lakes, for the next few years.

Sorry about the long post, thanks for reading!

I've hear of but never bought anything from joediver. Never heard of #2. I don't think site matters if you are satisfied with 1) what is their warranty (who warrants it) and 2) what is their return policy if you are dissatisfied, etc. with the product.

There's something to be said for being able to at least try on a BC to see if it fits... preferably in the water... sizing can be very peculiar and there may or may not be enough adjustments to compensate. Even different styles of BCs will fit differently. No, I didn't get to do a water checkout with mine, but also had a good idea of what I wanted.

While you can survive on a low end regulator, you might not want to do that. I originally purchased a low end reg for a safe second (to have something is better than nothing) and recently upgraded it. I would have upgraded much sooner had it been my primary, but just the thought of the chance that I would have to breath off of it gave me incentive.

Don't discount local shops. I found all of my "expensive" gear at local shops for less than I did online. Just wait for a good sale... I'm sure one is coming to a store near you soon!

Ken

Welcome to the board. I would shy away from unknow web sites..and ebay for that matter. Try keeping an eye on your local paper or Craigslist for good deals. Also, often times LSDs will sell their rental gear after a season or 2. It should be in good shape and serviced, plus you will have a know place to take it back to in the event you have issues with it. Any used gear you buy, it is a very good idea to have it serviced by a good tech before diving it.

nkb535~

If you're not planning to do a good few dives per year, owning your own gear may not be a bargain. If you factor in the annual servicing, renting would give you the opportunity to try different products and save money. Once you decide what you really like, save up for that. Buy one piece at a time if you have to.

Also get involved with a club or dive group. The more you dive and are around other divers, you'll be amazed at how fast your scuba locker fills up!

I would recommend just buying a piece at a time until you can put together a complete set of quality gear rather than going cheaper to have the whole set now. This allows you to rent/borrow gear to try out so that you know exactly what you want. As previously suggested watch your LDS for sales. For example, right now Apeks/Aqualung is running $50-$100 rebates on all their regs depending on which set you get - just FYI. I hope this helps and I wish you the best with your coming gear purchases!!

Remember that @ Scubatoys.com, they have a 10% discount to all Scubaboard members....There is also(or was last year) another discount available there for posting on their board, $10 off a purchase for making the 1st 25 post then $50 off a purchase after making another ?240(total of 250) post--if my memory serves me correct--If interested, check with them.....A great place to do business I might add.....

I have purchased many items from LP, no problems.
Have used joediver a few times without any problem. Sometimes backordered items are not told they are on BO, I wish I'd known before ordering.
Scuba.com. bought stuff from them at the scuba show, very discounted, but never used them on-line.

Back
Top Bottom