New to diving and want a nice camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChiefZero

Reaction score
HI all,

I was looking around for a nice underwater camera that won't get in my way has I am still learning to dive efficiently but I want to take al the least decent pictures with it. I am quite capable with any land camera up to DSLRS but With a limited buget plan on starting with a nice piont and shoot underwater. I have been looking around for cameras and can't decide which one I should get. I was told by a dive shop that for the price and skill level a good starter is the reefmaster mini. I have also looked at DC500 DC600 DC800 DC1000. the DC1000 with a price tag of $500 is quite pricey but I hear alot of good of it.

The bottom line is:
~I want a underwater camera
~Needs o be easy to use, not to interfere to much with my diving
~A price tag perferably under $500 but better around $300 to $400
~Good quality and picture taking time

So what you think out of the sea life ones, I will go with the reefmaster mini if people think that it is the best for me?

thanks
the poor college student ChiefZero

Reefmaster mini is a starter model to get a diver to buy two cameras, I think - it, and the one they really want next. You can get a good DC500 on Ebay for around $200. I suggest learning to dive comfortably first, camera later - but if you just got to get one now...

Hi ChiefZero -

Starving student... having been one once and the recent acquirer of a DC1000, I would take Don's advice.

Get the diving down a bit first. Let your instructor know you really want to master neutral buoyancy control *because* you goal is to integrate photography into to your diving activities in the future. When he/she says you have what you need and you are really comfortable underwater, then spend the money to get the best you can afford (you could be saving a little in the meantime and have the $$).

Early on I found the camera was very distracting, so I spent extra time working on the diving comfort and control issues before starting to experiment. Now I can pay more attention to the camera when I have it and methodically learn how to get better results rather than worrying about scuba basics at the same time.

If you want to experiment, see if a dive buddy has one you can borrow to play with once and see how much of a distraction they can be early on...

Best,

HI all,

I was looking around for a nice underwater camera that won't get in my way has I am still learning to dive efficiently but I want to take al the least decent pictures with it. I am quite capable with any land camera up to DSLRS but With a limited buget plan on starting with a nice piont and shoot underwater.
/* stuff deleted */
thanks
the poor college student ChiefZero

Hi Chiefzero,

There are two schools of thought. Become a good diver, then get the camera. Or let the chase for good photos force you to become a good diver.

Before you go down that road, see if your LDS has an intro class to UW photography. A lot of LDS's will give you the class for free if you buy a camera. See if they will credit you if you take the class first. Better to spend $100-$200 before you commit to $500. Also, my LDS rents cameras, take one out for a dive and see how you respond to the additional task loading on your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom