New to diving and to Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I have my OW cert dives this weekend at Windy Point on Lake Travis. Is there anything I ought to know or keep in mind being both new to diving, and to Travis? We were told to bring our own food, drinks, and not much else about the park or condition of the water. After 3 or so hours in the training pool I was getting cold in my 3/2mm wetsuit so I'm hoping it's enough for to get me through the dives there. I have my introduction over in the intro area "New from Texas" thread.

Welcome to the board!

Here are some tips to make your time at Scubaboard a fantastic experience:

1. Fill out your profile. This lets us get to know you! Who knows, maybe there are others out there who share your love of underwater basket weaving!

2. Check out the forum on Scubaboard that is specific to your geographical location.

3. Don't hesitate to ask any dive-related questions you may have. There WILL be someone here who knows the answer. There also may be people who are sarcastic or attempt to make you feel silly for asking questions. Keep in mind that Scubaboard is like a salad bar. Take what you like and leave the rest!

4. When available, really get involved IN PERSON. Several of us regularly attend local functions where we dive and dine together. It really does enhance your Scubaboard experience!

Welcome!

Also, at the top of this forum is a sticky thread with recent dive reports. The guys down in Austin are really active and post reports regularly. Read through some of them to get an idea about visibility and water temperature. One recent one said upper seventies from 0-15 feet and dropping from there. It was pretty specific as to what temp at what depth. Then all you need to know is how deep you're going. My guess is that a 3/2 is a little light. :)

Bring one or two underwater lights; they don't call us Swamp Divers for nothing. Park is fine, outdoor changing rooms, portapotties, air fills if you need them, plenty of parking, and bike wheel carriers to haul your stuff. Have a good dive.

Went a couple of weeks ago, and 3mm with 5/3 hooded vest was "OK" for a few dives to 70 feet. Unless you're only going to 20 feet or so, a 3/2mm will probably be a bit light. Then again, if you're a polar bear it might be OK.

Windy Point Park (not the state park) is a great place to dive. Ladders down to the water when it is low, all that navychop mentions too. We often camp there too. If you're coming in from out of town consider this. If you pull down the paved road to the park and come up to a ranger station for entry, you're on the wrong side. If you go down a long dirt parking lot, you're on the correct (and the right - by the way) side.

Also, the Windy Point Park side is pretty safe with topside gear left behind. I wouldn't leave a wallet laying out, but I've never had anything stolen from there in the last 9 years. Since it is a bit more than the public park next door you don't see the "drink and get stupid" crowd too much. The divers that do stay and drink there after diving don't seem to ever take advantage of others. I remember one time we had customers complain about 3-4 years ago. But one loser over that amount of time is a pretty good record.

If you dive either Bob Wentz Park (state park on Windy Point) or Mansfield Dam, please, please lock up everything that is topside unattended. I know of SEVERAL cases of equipment walking off during a dive in the parks.

You can now dive both from shore and boat at Windy Point Park. Lake Travis Scuba charters depart from Windy Point Park, a shuttle takes you to the shore line to meet the boat and can take your gear from the car to your set up site and back.

For more information, check Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba.

Dive safe and often,

Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom