New to Board - seeking Little Cayman info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlandersn

Reaction score
We are planning our fall dive trip and everyone is raving about the diving on Little Cayman. Is it worth the 3 flights we will have to take to get there? Any recommendations on places to stay? We have been to Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan and The Aquacat liveaboard in the Bahamas, for comparison.

It's fabulous diving on Little Cayman.

You will have to make a connection in Grand Cayman, but you may be able to get a non-stop flight to GCM from Newark.

I would return in a heartbeat. Well worth the extra time. If you are looking for a little more privacy check out Conch Club Condominiums at: http://www.conchclub.com/index2.html

I highly recommend the Southern Cross Club , I am returning for my second visit this year. I have stayed there and at the Little Cayman Beach Resort, and I prefer the smaller, less crowded feeling at SCC. It is all a matter of what you prefer, and the diving is spectacular! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

jlandersn:
We are planning our fall dive trip and everyone is raving about the diving on Little Cayman. Is it worth the 3 flights we will have to take to get there? Any recommendations on places to stay? We have been to Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan and The Aquacat liveaboard in the Bahamas, for comparison.
Yes, it is definitely worth the grief. My wife and I used to go to a different Carribean dive resort once or twice a year, and we went all over. One year we went to Cayman Brac...and one day the boat took us over to Little Cayman for a couple of dives. That did it for us...we never went anywhere else except Little Cayman. After a few years, I bought some land there...then a few years later started building a house there. Now I live there six months a year, and absolutely love it!

Advice on travel: check with Cayman Airways to see what kind of deal they are offering this week to get you all the way to Little Cayman. Things keep changing while they are in the process of trying to put Island Air out of business. Last I looked, you could get to Little Cayman for small change with them if you flew into the Cayman Islands on Cayman Airways.

Where to stay: The big question is, what do you really like? There are 5 resorts on the island, and each has its own distinct personality. I think they are all good, but your mileage will vary based on your own personality.

Pirate's Point: max 20 guests, very laid back, very clubby. They eat a long leisurely breakfast, then go diving at 10 a.m. for 2 tanks only. Then a late lunch, followed by some kind of group (typically) activity, then a gourmet dinner. Best food on the island. The repeat rate there is about 90 percent.

Little Cayman Beach Resort: Bigger and more intense about their diving. Be on the dock at 8 a.m. or get left behind. They can handle a max of 60 divers/day with their 3 Newton 42's. The morning dive is 2 tank, back about noon. Then the afternoon dive leaves about 3 p.m. for one tank. Meals are all-you-can-eat buffet style, and the food is good.

Southern Cross Club: more laid back than LCBR, but not like Pirate's Point. They have the best beach on the island, the best Friday afternoon happy hour. A smaller boat there can only take 14 divers, and the resort can handle a maximum of 20 guests.

Paradise Villas: very much a-la-carte. There are 10 units which are really suites, complete with a mini-kitchen. You can cook in your room if you want or go next door to the Hungry Iguana restaurant to eat. Neither option is inexpensive, though. Their boat is a flat-bottomed affair which is the fastest dive boat on the island...in calm water. And they go really early in the morning. Banana Wind is always the first one out the inlet.

McCoy's Lodge: Much more of a Caymanian flavor than any of the other resorts, for the obvious reason that Sam and Mary McCoy are Caymanian.

If you want more info, you can get links to their web pages off my own web page at http://www.qsl.net/zf2nt/lcm_info.htm.

yep, it's worth the trouble, and it's all good. Great lodging summary from zf2nt. (Those others mentioned Caribe Sands and Divi are on Cayman Brac, not Little Cayman.)

I stayed at the Little Cayman Beach Resort in April. The diving was nice. I was lucky; there weren't that many divers. The boats typically had 8 divers on them. They look like they can probably accommodate 20 divers each, which would be too many. The dive operation is efficiently run, if a bit regimented. They will limit your dives to 50 minutes and 100 feet, and enforce the buddy system. The divemasters are professional, helpful and friendly.

The food is good. The rooms aren't luxe, but adequate. I stayed in one of the beachfront rooms, which are supposed to be better. It was ok--no major complaints.

The booby pond smells. You get used to it, but it's a lot like vacationing near a garbage dump. It didn't bother me, but my girlfriend is still complaining.

Have a nice vacation.

Vlad

Back
Top Bottom