New TG 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A strobe is really needed
the backscatter mini strobe is great for macro and very close up but weak for anything else my 2 cents

Strobes aren't very useful when you want to take video and my video lights work great on the photos and video I take.

If you shoot in RAW format ("ORF" files for Olympus ) you can significantly enhance the quality of photos taken with only ambient light. You can adjust the exposure, dynamic range, and most importantly, the white balance (and lots other parameters as well) This will require you to get familiar with either Olympus' Workspace software, which you can download for free from their website, or you can use the Windows Photos app (much simpler to use, but also more limited). When you are done processing, you save the photo as a jpg. Essentially you would be doing manually what the camera does for you automatically, but now you are more in control of what the final jpg will look like.

When I first started, I just used a camera in housing without strobes just to keep things simple. And now that I use strobes, I still like to take some of my photos using ambient light. It does work better if you are diving somewhere with high visibility and some sunlight.

You can get a good overview of RAW vs jpg here:

Here is an example of a photo shot in RAW format taken with ambient light before and after processing

Before:
IMG_3194 untouched.jpg

After:
IMG_3194.JPG

Strobes aren't very useful when you want to take video and my video lights work great on the photos and video I take.
True, we dont do video, hate editing.

True, we dont do video, hate editing.

I don't edit my videos lol I watch them or show them to others who are interested in what I see on dives. Post a few on you tube but these are mostly for vacation memories.

I'm thinking when lighting becomes a thing I will go with video lights.

I'll look at editing software as well. And maybe go RAW. I'll have to play when I get back home.

It looks like the camera can Bluetooth connect. How well does that work? Will it Bluetooth to computer or just phone by some specific app?

I'm thinking when lighting becomes a thing I will go with video lights.

I'll look at editing software as well. And maybe go RAW. I'll have to play when I get back home.

It looks like the camera can Bluetooth connect. How well does that work? Will it Bluetooth to computer or just phone by some specific app?

I like to take video and photos which is why I chose the video lights. Also I prefer to use the camera for fairly close up photos and video. Anything from 3cm away to 3m away. For longer distance I most often take 4k video instead of photos.

This octopus was around 3m plus distance when I snapped this photo using the video lights. It was well hidden on the wall and I used the zoom feature on the camera to make the shot look a but closer up. That way I could not disturb the octopus from its spot when I was preparing to get the photo. I shoot photos in both raw and jpeg.

OCTOPUS ON CORAL WALL.jpg

I like to take video and photos which is why I chose the video lights. Also I prefer to use the camera for fairly close up photos and video. Anything from 3cm away to 3m away. For longer distance I most often take 4k video instead of photos.

This octopus was around 3m plus distance when I snapped this photo using the video lights. It was well hidden on the wall and I used the zoom feature on the camera to make the shot look a but closer up. That way I could not disturb the octopus from its spot when I was preparing to get the photo.

View attachment 685175

Nice shot but those are one of my favorite critters so I might be biased

Nice shot but those are one of my favorite critters so I might be biased
Same here. So I also have my old go pro mounted on my rig. So I might use that for video and the TG6 for taking photos at the same time. This octopus hidden under a rocky outcrop again taken using the zoom.

OCTOPUS HIDDEN.JPG

Back
Top Bottom