New temporary passport procedures-Summer 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Due to the huge increase in passport requests, local county facilities are denying any requests if you have travel plans within 9 Weeks. So you can't even make a local county/postal appointment for changes/new/renew. You must call the National Passport Information Center. Airlines and Cruise companies are overwhelmed today answering questions. This is temporary, but summer travel is going to be nuts.

What does a county have to do with US Passport renewals?
We renewed online but this is currnetly closed.
You can also renew by mail if certain conditions are met.

What does a county have to do with US Passport renewals?
You can do passport changes at the local county clerk plus post office. But now NPO stopped them. There's a ton of travelers who booked flights already but may not be able to travel.

You can do passport changes at the local county clerk plus post office. But now NPO stopped them. There's a ton of travelers who booked flights already but may not be able to travel.
Where are you? What state/county are you talking about?
What is the source of your info in your OP? I see nothing on the Passport renewal site.
One can also expedite.

Due to the huge increase in passport requests, local county facilities are denying any requests if you have travel plans within 9 Weeks. So you can't even make a local county/postal appointment for changes/new/renew. You must call the National Passport Information Center. Airlines and Cruise companies are overwhelmed today answering questions. This is temporary, but summer travel is going to be nuts.

Thanks for the heads up Johnoly. Your information about passports, with luck, will perhaps help many people with their travel plans. Nothing like planning a trip and then the disappointment finding out the Post Office is back logged.

I would add also that many destination countries also require your passport to be valid for one full year past your date of actual departure from the country you are visiting. And a reminder that some countries, don't care if your planned departure is delayed, they mean in fact one full calendar year, regardless of any departure delays. Don't ask,...

Again thanks!!!! :)

About a year ago my wife had a short-notice overseas business trip come up and needed her passport renewed in order to meet the expiration validity requirements. No way to do a mail-in renewal (even "expedited") due to the long processing delays.

The only way to do it was to go to a regional federal passport office. But you can't make an appointment until (something like) the day before you are 2 weeks out from your departure, for an appointment that itself has to be within the 2-week per-departure window. The fateful day arrives and by the time she got through there are no available appointments left in the time window (in Philadelphia, NY, Baltimore, etc.). The only option was to go to their main office in DC. Total PITA!

I did the online renewal when the test window was open last fall - pretty painless. Ironically, My son who had to re-apply through the PO because he had turned 18, got his days earlier, despite applying about a week after I did for just the online renewal. There is no rational-understanding possible of large bureaucracy ...

Nothing you describe above comes close to the agony we have to go through to get our passports renewed. We have to travel to a different country to apply and then travel again when the passports are ready. Two international trips with overnight stay. Less slots for appointments of course. To register child birth is another HUGE ordeal.

I would add also that many destination countries also require your passport to be valid for one full year past your date of actual departure from the country you are visiting. And a reminder that some countries, don't care if your planned departure is delayed, they mean in fact one full calendar year, regardless of any departure delays. Don't ask,...
I think you mean 6 months? What is a country that requires 1 year?

See Passport 6 Month Rule in 2023 - Passport Validity Requirements

Back
Top Bottom