New Tech Skin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recieved a new Tech skin today and I am curious about how to put it on. I noticed that there is a hole cut out for the inflator vave, but there is not one for the dump valve? Do I cut the hole myself? I am a little nervous about doing that...

How do it remove those valves?

Thanks

Phil

I'd call that unacceptable & ask for it to be fixed or exchanged. Why should you have to take the risk of DIY when it should have been done at the factory. The dump valve is as important as the inflator after all.

Well I figured out how to remove the valves.

I have the skin on except for the dump valve. I am still nervous about cutting a hole in the suit. If I just cut the hole with scissors will it not fray because of the material that is attached to the skin marking the spot of the hole?

Putting the skin on was pretty easy. It took me about 10 min after I got the old skin off. With neither of the skins on the suit I put the suit on and then sliped the tech skin over the top and fastened the velcro on the ankles and wrists so that I did not have to worry about antyhing being twisted. Then I took it off and worked the velcro around the zipper. It was all pretty easy I just wish that there was already a hole where the dump valve goes...

Phil

I'm sure that hole is not intended to be a DIY affair.

Give the west coast time to wake up and give them a call directly.

Pete

Phil, I have a tech skin, believe me it should have a professionally punched hole with the same stuff to add strength around the hole as it has on the inflator valve hole. If you want to get into it as soon as posable I can understand. If you feel confident that you can just cut a hole & all will be well go for it. As to whether the Lycra will fray I have no idea & can only say I'm glad mine was done properly so I wasn't faced with the problem.

I suppose once you have the skin on it's obvious that the hole go's in the Lycra just under the 'Dry Core" logo. Any way good luck with it, but I'd still want it replaced with what I'd paid for, a fully finished, professionally made skin for the Fusion.

Here is the spot I am talking about

IMG_0037.jpg

I did not do a very good job trying to explain it in my post above. So the spot of where the hole is supposed to be is marked, and my assumption is that the plastic type material that is marking the spot will also keep the material from fraying. The hole for the inflator valve was just a little smaller than that inside circle.

Phil

Ah, the spot, now I get it, I didn't realise you had the little protective layer. In that case I'd probably have a go myself. But rather than using scissors I think I'd see about getting a punch to do the job. Do you know any crafty types, leather workers or the like. What about a store that sells rubber sheeting & foam, they often have quite an array of punch sizes.

I think your assumption is right.

That would be a pretty big punch.

My usual approach when doing something like that is to use a template from an art or drafting supply store (a green plastic thingy with numerous circles of various sizes to assist you in tracing circles.) I then use a #11 exacto knife (with new blade) and run it around the edge of the suitably sized hole in the template cutting the hole in the fabric. Back up the material with a small cutting board or suitable object to ensure that you do not cut a hole in both layers of fabric.

In addition to preventing fraying, the vinyl or plastic piece glued to the fabric helps the valve seal as the lycra fabric on the skin itself would otherwise be porous.

On Behalf of Whites, our sincerest apologies!! Cutting a hole is not a big issue, not trying to downplay the hassel you have incurred, but it is pretty straight forward. The screnning was placed on it so the neoprene would not tear, so cutting it will not cause it to fray.

Take a reasonable pair of scissors (not your kids' barbi scissors) and pinch the "middle" of the circle on the skin - cut a very small hole in the center. From that circle cut outward on the inside of the main circle so that the hole is SMALLER than the valve end and the circle indicated - the tech skin will stretch around the valve. It's not the end of the world if the hole is too big - as the valve itself is far larger.

Make sense?

Bottom line - cut a hole about an inch in diameter inside the circle indicated.

Again - our sincerest apologies.

Tyler

On Behalf of Whites, our sincerest apologies!! Cutting a hole is not a big issue, not trying to downplay the hassel you have incurred, but it is pretty straight forward. The screnning was placed on it so the neoprene would not tear, so cutting it will not cause it to fray.

Take a reasonable pair of scissors (not your kids' barbi scissors) and pinch the "middle" of the circle on the skin - cut a very small hole in the center. From that circle cut outward on the inside of the main circle so that the hole is SMALLER than the valve end and the circle indicated - the tech skin will stretch around the valve. It's not the end of the world if the hole is too big - as the valve itself is far larger.

Make sense?

Bottom line - cut a hole about an inch in diameter inside the circle indicated.

Again - our sincerest apologies.

Tyler

OK, I will try it in the morning... I will just cut it about the same size as the hole that was there for the inflator valve. I was pretty sure that the screening material would keep it from fraying, but I wanted to make sure before I took some scissors to it.

I will let everyone know how it went tomorrow...

Thanks again
Phil

Back
Top Bottom