New tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you asking a question? :popcorn:

yes Where should I buy new tanks from hp steele 120 from local dive shop 375.99 +7.5% sales tax or hp steele 130 from leisure pro for 399.95 no tax no shipping?

yes Where should I buy new tanks from hp steel 120 from local dive shop 375.99 +7.5% sales tax or hp steel 130 from leisure pro for 399.95 no tax no shipping?

Based on what you stated here the price difference is only $4.24 (375.99 * 1.075 = $404.19 - 399.95 = $4.24 (more from the LDS).

Unless your figures are wrong you should obviously buy them from the LDS since the price difference is only $4.24 and not the $50 you mentioned in your original posting.

If you just want to look at the tanks, buy them from an online source. If you wanna put air in them, buy them from LDS. Sooner or later if people keep buying online, the LDS is gonna go the way of the passenger pigeon.

I would buy local also.

The LDS is going to need to do a VIP when you show up with that empty Leisure Pro cylinder for another $15 or so. Even if you trans fill it odds are they won't buy the factory VIP.

There is not nearly enough savings potential here to consider not making it a local cash & carry transaction.

Pete

Pete is right, that is the missing piece in the calculation. The Leisure pro tanks will arrive either without a VIP and they should not have a sticker on them as they will arrive with the valves off and technically need a VIP.

So you'll need to add the cost of a VIP to the LP price as well as the price of a fill, which makes the LDS price cheaper since the LDS will most likely thow a VIP and at least one fill in for free on tanks you buy from the LDS.

Even if it cost $50 more, I'd go with the LDS as tha $50 will buy a lot in terms of customer status, support for the LDS where you will get air, advice and last minute items and service, not to mention prevention of a great deal of ill will.

Besides, 120's are a nice size while a 130 is a big honking tank that you should not have to lug around unless you really need it.

I will buy on line on occassion, but those items are almost always specialty items the LDS does not stock, would have to order and in many cases could not get for as low a price through their wholesaler and all of the above are determined because I show them the courtesy of discussing it with them and giving them first shot at it.

That lies at the other extreme from trying an item on at a shop and then buying it somewhere else online, which is only slightly better than buying it on line and then taking it into the local dives shop for warranty work, which in turn is only slightly lower than snubbing a very good price from an LDS to save literally only a few bucks buying on-line.

The truth is that shops make very little money on the tank sales and at that price stocking a steel tank like that is more of a customer service than an effort to make money, if you want your shop to continue those practices, they need to be rewarded with a sale now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom