New tanks to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be buying 2 new tanks shortly and have several to choose from on the list.

Faber LP 95's
PST E80's
PST E100's
luxfer al80's

I'm all about small size and lightweight. Will be doing boat dives in panama city and 80ish should be sufficient. I'm also looking for something unusual to help deter theft since my old tanks was stolen, just left me my faber 45 because it was an oddball shaped tank.

Question I have is anyone have these tanks and am looking for some feedback on this debate I have.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...

Faber LP 95's
PST E80's
PST E100's
luxfer al80's

I'm all about small size and lightweight.

Ed

I have 3 out of the four listed. But fail to understand what small size and lightweight have to do with theses?

The faber 95's are bigger in diameter than the Al 80's, about the same length give or take a little and while not extremely heavy they are not lightweight. Same can be said about my PST 100's
the lux 80's are used by everyone around here and many of the smaller staute divers switched to AL63's.

What is your debate?

Hallmac

Can you tell us a little about your diving? Wet or dry? Fresh or salt? What level of education and/or experience do you have?

Hello,

I do both salt/fresh, rarely do I use a wetsuit. 98% of my dives I have a camera with me.

Hallmac,

The weight is as following:

PST E80 23.3 lbs
luxfer al80 31.4 lbs
PST E100 32 lbs
faber 95 38.8 lbs

The image in my profile is with a faber 95 in bimini. I used no lead durring those dives, same would be true had it been a luxfer al80.

Ed

I understand the weights of the tanks Still a bit confused as to what you are debating or trying to deceide.

Are you asking if the PST 80's will allow you to dive without extra weight?

Hallmac!

Before we go any further, I have a question... How is it that you can dive with no weight at all in a Faber 95, which is 1.5 pounds negative empty, and yet do exactly the same in a Luxfer AL80, which is 4 pounds buoyant empty? One would assume, then, that you're around 5.5 pounds overweighted when using a Faber 95, then, except that that's just not possible... Since in your picture you have nothing with you that's significantly negative. (Especially in salt water.) Of course, you're not wearing a wetsuit (positive) either, but any way you cut it, you can't possibly be negative from the outset. Also, negative or not, you can't possibly get the same buoyancy characteristics out of a Faber steel 95 and a Luxfer AL80.

For reference, there's information on tank weights on my site: http://www.LCscuba.com . That might help you make a decision. Go to "Talk" and then "Equipment." You'll see info on tanks in there...

SeaJay once bubbled...
Before we go any further, I have a question... How is it that you can dive with no weight at all in a Faber 95, which is 1.5 pounds negative empty, and yet do exactly the same in a Luxfer AL80, which is 4 pounds buoyant empty? One would assume, then, that you're around 5.5 pounds overweighted when using a Faber 95, then, except that that's just not possible... Since in your picture you have nothing with you that's significantly negative. (Especially in salt water.) Of course, you're not wearing a wetsuit (positive) either, but any way you cut it, you can't possibly be negative from the outset. Also, negative or not, you can't possibly get the same buoyancy characteristics out of a Faber steel 95 and a Luxfer AL80.

For reference, there's information on tank weights on my site: http://www.LCscuba.com . That might help you make a decision. Go to "Talk" and then "Equipment." You'll see info on tanks in there...

Hello,

Great site I like the images you have.

To answer some of your questions :) I am about 2 lbs negative in saltwater with no gear on, or was last time I did the math.

You are forgetting one critical thing here, we dive with full tanks, not empty tanks. I never come home with an empty tank as I always have gas to spare. I was taught never ever come back with an empty tank, it causes equipment problems and can cause medical problems. That said

Faber LP95 is -6.8 full and +0.9 empty
PST E80 is -7.5 full and -1.5 empty
PST E100 is -8.8 full and -1.3 empty
Luxfer AL80 is -1.4 full and +1.5 empty.

Ed

What feedback were you looking for?

I'm negitive as well in fresh water with a 3-2 shorty I don't require weight either even with a AL80 tank at 500 psi.

help us figure out what information you are looking for?
Hallmac

Hello,

Just not sure which tank I should buy. The E80's size/weight is appealing but I have experience with the al80 and faber 95 and I really liked the faber 95's.

Ed

that brings us back to Seajay's original post.

it's going to be hard to match you up with the closest tank to your needs without a little more info on your dive profile.

To shorten up the post a little The steel 80 is a good tank. I like the LP95's and can't seem to buy enough.

If you are looking to correctly chose a tank that places you close to neutral as possible we need to know more.

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom