New-style Pioneer wings and STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone here using the Halcyon Pioneer wings with the "integrated" single tank adapter, along with an actual seperate STA? I'm on the verge of buying a steel STA for some extra integrated weight (don't like the idea of hanging trim pockets etc off of my tank), but the 2001 model wings have two metal rods fused inside of the wing for the tank to rest against to give it some stability. Seems to me like the old STAs were designed to merely sandwhich a piece of wing material between the STA and the backplate, not these two metal rods. The suggestion has been made to make small cuts and slip the rods out, but to be honest I don't feel like cutting the material of the wing.

Is anyone using a separate STA with these rods in place, and have you noticed / not noticed any problems doing such???

thanks,

Ben

I use a Pioneer 36# with a seperate STA. Things sit a bit higher, but no real problem. If it bothered me enough I could slit the rod pocket at the top of the rod and slide the rods out. That way I could still put them back in if I wanted to do the STA-less method.

JoelW

Ben,

I came across a Usenet discussion about this; a number of people were complaining about the new design. I'm not sure how to post a Usenet thread link, but I think the following link through Google/DejaNews should work:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=Halcyon+no-sta+wins&btnG=Google+Search

BTW, do the new-style wings include a set of cam bands?

Chris

Thanks for the link chris_b. The wing does come with a pair of cam bands.

Thanks for the info JoelW - I've decided to get the STA and give it a try. If it sucks, well, there's always eBay :) (for the STA, not the wing!!!)

I recently purchased the new style 36# wings and bp, as did Windknot, and the cam bands were not included. I had to complain a bit to EE and Halcyon to get what the Halcyon site says are "included" cam straps. The answer I got during my complaining was that the straps most certainly are not included unless you order the package (EE I'm refering to) which includes the Storage Pak to attach to the plate. The price for this package is $550.

For what it's worth, I have taken the BC including the integrated STA for a dry run (translation - havent hit the water yet) and it seems very stable :thumb: . I am also considering purchasing a traditional STA for a little extra weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom