New strobe has a saggy arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhatAnIdea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I just purchsed my first external strobe (Ikelite DS-125) and I'm noticing that the ball sockets on the arms move freely enough that the strobe won't maintain it's position (in air). Now I realize everything is shiny, new, and liekly covered with silicon, etc... and there is a difference between being on land and being in the water... However, before I go on my next vacation I'd like to know if there is something I should do to prevent a saggy strobe arm? Nothing will be more frustrating than a dozen pictures with my strobe in the lens, ha ha ha.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

I haven't used Ike's arm system, but I do know that many do and are happy with the control it offers. I'm not sure if the ike design has o-rings on the balls to clamp onto. Most people perfer the Ultralight System which I use.

http://www.ulcs.com/

It has a ball with an o-ring set in it to obtain better holding power from the clamp. They're a bit overpriced, but I've been very happy with the functionality.

of course, if you get the opertunity, it's best is to test it prior to vacation.

Take care,
John

No worries about thew arms. Once they have been in the water a time or two all will be well. I did wash mine in dish soap when I first got them though and now use Aquatica arms.

The DS 125 weighs 2 pounds 12 ounces (1247g) on land. Due to the displacement of salt water when submerged, it weighs only 4-5 ounces (@142g) once under.

Thanks for the responses. I pulled the arms apart; washed them with a little dish soap and I now see a big improvement. I expect that in water the arms will easily hold the 2 or 3 ounces securely in place.

Cheers!
Lou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom