New Solo Diving textbook wish list...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ba_hiker:
someone mention kevlar? are people using kevlar leaders? has anyone tried to cut this with various sissors? anyone have any experience with this?

SS can be cut, but not with a z knife.
Yup, kevlar: http://www.kayakfishingsport.com/Fishing_Line.htm

EMT shears will cut it (as well as SS). Most knives, even serrated, have a tough time of it, though....

jagfish:
I agree with many posts I have read that find the Solo Diving text by Von Maier woefully inadequate.

I'd like posters to put together a wish list of topics and tecniques to include.

From another post I have borrowed this from a reefraff post as a possible starting point:

Having taken the course already myself, I would vote for including a really comprehensive section on gas management. SAC calculation and tracking under different conditions, use this information to anticipate adequate gas supply and reserve for planned dives, rule of thirds, rock bottom, depth and pony supply size requirements, etc...

Other ideas...

JAG

It's also a good idea to have your name and address on your slate . Just in case

jagfish:
Having taken the course already [snip]
Jag, what did you think of the "solo diving mentality" module in the SDI course? Seems to me that this is a very important topic, but one that requires a real mentorship if the state of mind isn't there already. In other words, do you think the right mental attitude can be taught?

I'm also curious how much entanglement/extrication practice was available. Now that's something I'd like to work on. Have only been held up by kelp so far (Oregon coast), but after working on net & line cleanup in Midway atoll those things have my respect.

jagfish:
I agree with many posts I have read that find the Solo Diving text by Von Maier woefully inadequate. I'd like posters to put together a wish list of topics and tecniques to include.
Four items perhaps not yet mentioned that I'd devote space to:

1. Surface survival tactics and gear, for when you lose the boat (or vice versa). Perhaps similar to being left with a buddy or a group, but it seems to me that keeping up a survival mentality would be harder without companionship.

2. Navigation, navigation, navigation.

3. Rules of thumb for gas/time/depth planning, so you can re-work the plan while underwater.

4. Practice aborting. Really aborting for the day. If you can't enjoy calling it off and doing something else, what does that say?

Fin on,
Bryan

eponym:
Jag, what did you think of the "solo diving mentality" module in the SDI course? Seems to me that this is a very important topic, but one that requires a real mentorship if the state of mind isn't there already. In other words, do you think the right mental attitude can be taught?

I'm also curious how much entanglement/extrication practice was available. Now that's something I'd like to work on. Have only been held up by kelp so far (Oregon coast), but after working on net & line cleanup in Midway atoll those things have my respect.

Four items perhaps not yet mentioned that I'd devote space to:

1. Surface survival tactics and gear, for when you lose the boat (or vice versa). Perhaps similar to being left with a buddy or a group, but it seems to me that keeping up a survival mentality would be harder without companionship.

2. Navigation, navigation, navigation.

3. Rules of thumb for gas/time/depth planning, so you can re-work the plan while underwater.

4. Practice aborting. Really aborting for the day. If you can't enjoy calling it off and doing something else, what does that say?

Fin on,
Bryan

Nice ideas, Bryan...

eponym:

My feeling in my case was that the right attitude was more assumed, but perhaps if someone was signalling an improper attitude, more time would have been spent here...

eponym:

Lots of practice doffing/donning gear underwater and simulated entanglement, but with monofilament only, and I remember the instructor using plant life a time or two...Honestly, the entanglements presented were not particularly challenging, it was really for the experience of taking off your gear and seeing what was up and dealing...

jagfish:
I agree with many posts I have read that find the Solo Diving text by Von Maier woefully inadequate.

JAG

Thats woefully ironic, since virtually everything on the list you do quote is in VonMaier's book.

Uncle Pug:
I think there should be a gillnet pool session to demonstrate self-extrication techniques... so there would need to be something in the text-book describing self-extrication.

Hey, UP, I respect your experience, appreciate your sense of humor, and have learned a lot from your posts, but I gotta ask...

Since, on another thread, you used the gill net example as one reason divers shouldn't solo, and pointed out there and here that the only way out is a buddy, isn't this post pushing the 'no trolling' rule? Maybe once again expressing your dislike for solo diving, while only breaking the intent of the rule?

NetDoc:
The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance.

Emphasis added.

3dent:
isn't this post pushing the 'no trolling' rule?
Oh... I suppose those who want to keep the specter of entanglement carefully hidden from view while presenting an enticing picture of the joys of solo diving might try to shut me up using that. (Of course I'm not saying that you are trying to do that 3dent... you said nice things about me. :D)

However my comments are not a troll (statements made merely to engender conflict) but rather are important considerations that no one else was raising.

NetDoc:
The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance.
Now I suppose someone could say that I have no right to speak in this forum at all according to NetDoc's request that those who have made up their minds about solo diving not participate. If you read the line I emphasized in the quote above you will see the intent of that request is to keep folks from arguing about whether or not to solo dive.

I am not speaking to the issue of whether or not you should dive solo... I'm speaking to the techniques and strategies involved.. specifically entanglement and self-extrication training.

Hope this clarifies my involvement in the thread thus far. :D

Back
Top Bottom