New SoCal/Alaska Member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swsurgeon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings from a new member from Southern California, bound for Alaska. I grew up on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and spent a lot of my earlier years in those waters and at various SoCal islands. Also quite a bit of time in Baja and the West Coast of Mexico.

I joined because (1) I want to learn about diving opportunities in Alaska (hope to move this summer) and (2) a friend and I are planning to make a trip to Australia later this year and, needless to say, want to incorporate some diving. I need to do a lot of research in a hurry.

Thanks in advance for any information and help I receive.

Though I can't personally help you out for either location (Alaska or Australia), just wait a bit and the folks from those locations (and others who have had the good fortune to visit them) will soon be giving you the advice you seek.

Welcome to the neighbourhood from north of the 49th.

DivingGal,

Thanks very much for your welcoming message. It looks like it will be pretty easy to collect the info I seek. In fact, in the last hour or two I learned more about drysuits than I ever thought possible! Perhaps I can even make a few worthwhile contributions, especially in the area of dive knives. I have a fairly substantial cutlery collection and have done some research on non-corrosive blade materials like talonite/stellite, tempered ceramic, and Mission's Beta Titanium.

Best Regards

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you enjoy the board as much as we all do. I look forward to reading your posts.

Chad

and a WARM Welcome from ARIZONA, the all beach no ocean state

Gald to have you here :balloon:

I to look forward to your post and know that we do have members in both areas of interest and when they get out of the water should drop a line or two..

welcome to the board and good luck on your adventures swsurgeon .

:)

Hi and welcome to the boards!

This is a great place for that "research in a hurry" stuff :wink:

Please let us know how the travel and the diving goes!

Fishkiller,

Thanks for the welcome---I love Aridzona (just kidding you a little with that name!). Actually, my family has gone diving "through" Arizona as early as the late 50s. We went from Arizona to Puerto Penasco (don't know whether I'm spelling it correctly---no Atlas handy). It was really nice in the late 50s/early 60s when I was a kid. I went back in the late 70s and it was already getting developed. I imagine it's overgrown now. I've also spent a lot of hiking/4WD time in AZ. I especially like the area around Crown King during the summer.

Tavi,

Greetings to Rochacha as we used to call it (they never told me why!). I graduated from U of R in '76. I used to love to go to a pizza place called Bay & Goodman and a chicken dive called Smitty's Birdland No. 2.

Thanks to everyone for your welcomes.

I grew up in Alaska, but I didn't start diving until I moved to the states. What part of Alaska are you moving to and why?

Watch out for the Lake Illiamna monster!

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom