New Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank G, Z Gear..

Thanks for your response. an interesting point you raise and I will take it into business with me. It is something I have thought about before when first being introduced to diving in PE,South Africa. there are 2 shops there Ocean Divers International & Pro Dive... ODI is out of the way, where as Pro Dive is on a main street. No guessing required to know which of the 2 is more successful. that being said I still got my training through ODI as it was the school my father did his training in 1988. nothing like a bit of nostalgia to keeping your business afloat.

The place we are looking at is somewhere off St. Martin, any ideas on the quality of the diving in this area?

I have only been diving for about two years now and in the San Diego area. I know that you will have to do some extensive research on this. As you narrow down your search you will have to decide how will your shop can be better than existing shops in the area after all you will be competing for the same business. I really do think that a fresh inviting approach towards the general public will be very inspiring for new curious future divers. Make explorers out of your students and not just gear techs. Our message to attract others should be a bit more appealing, IMO.

If you are certain about a particular area, there are several things to consider when choosing the shop location:

You can either capitalize on existing exposure and use the Burger King across the street from Mc Donalds example. Or locate a bit further on a semi busy street with very good visibility and traffic. Practical areas : close to dive site or main entry area, as well as adequate parking or other sporting goods stores near by are a great asset that can compliment the store. Try and stay away from hidden or out of the way areas which might present itself as a good deal but will actually draw less business.
I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff but its my two cents and I think its good that you thought to at least ask this particular question and present to all on the forum. Just take your time on this ,be thorough with the analysis and research as RJP has suggested and then use "YOUR" gut instincts to make the final decision.

Best wishes
Frank G
www.zgearinc,com

Back
Top Bottom