New Shipping Pier, Hato

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The council has decided on location, environmental/community impact study to proceed.

Screenshot_20221016-084354.png

I get that that is a fallow piece of industrial coastline, and it’s about 400’ from Cliff. And, there’s a lot of heavy stuff (car dealers, building supplies, etc) on Kaya Amsterdam. But 99% (literally, I think) of everything coming off a ship there would gave to head south into/through Kralendijk, at least to the roundabout. I wonder why south of town, where there’s so much open coast, wouldn’t be less disruptive given that none of the distances are more than a few km and the road is relatively good.

They will probably take the reconstructed road at roundabout at Dan Laman (Kaya Amsterdam) that leads to Kaya Korona by the gas station and Koolyman. From there you can go anywhere.

It is the short cut we take comming from Rincon to Dan Laman that avoids town.

In theory they picked the location more for environment impact vs best roads.. I don’t know though, just a thought. A guy I volunteered with today says he lives in the area where this is being built (Hato) and is a marine biologist and is happy they chose this spot… I guess the reef and marine life in this area isn’t as plentiful as most other places along the coast.

As much new construction as I saw last month, that island is going to be a different animal 5 years from now.....sadly.

As much new construction as I saw last month, that island is going to be a different animal 5 years from now.....sadly.
Seems right to me. My first time here, but we already can't get to one site, "18 palms" because of a large amount of construction between the normal parking area and the dive site. I understand the site isn't great, so I'm not missing much. At least the construction I have seen is around town, so maybe will not change the sites north and south much. If it changes the vibe in town, and the non-diving stuff, it can only be a good thing in my opinion, because so far diving is about the only good thing here, which is awesome and better than I had hoped even.

Shopguy, if you think the diving is the only good thing on Bonaire, you are missing out. The vibe, people, food scene etc is great on the island. The Donkey Sanctuary is a hoot and the park is beautiful. Kayaking in the mangrove is interesting and the windsurfing and kiting are first rate. The charm of the island grows on you over time.

My first time here, but we already can't get to one site, "18 palms" because of a large amount of construction between the normal parking area and the dive site. I understand the site isn't great, so I'm not missing much.
Actually, 18 Palms is a great site. Different topography than many others, lots of life. We do it as a boat dive, most every trip.

So is this where all the stone and sand will come in? We always stay up by then Divi and its a real pain when the dump trucks run all night long. The windows just rattle! When will this be done and up and running?

So is this where all the stone and sand will come in?
I hadn't given it much thought, but we watched dump truck after dump truck unloading what looked like "clean fill dirt" from a large ship one night, I think it was North Pier. I was thinking how it sucks to pay $200+ per load of dirt where I live, because they have to truck it 25 miles -- I can only imagine how expensive it would be to get a dump truck full of dirt on Bonaire, if it has to come by ship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom