New Setup Advice S100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribalrites

Reaction score
I am going to Cozumel in early March, and while I do not dive very often, every time I go I get the itch to buy a camera setup. I had a chance to rent a point a shoot system a few years back when I took a trip to the Galapagos, and a really loved taking photos and video as well. Unfortunately, I just have not gotten serious about looking into a system until now.

After doing some research I became interested in the S100 with the Ikelite housing. The Recsea would be nice, but I think a bit to pricey sinceI want to add a strobe.

Here is my mental dilemma considering budgetary famly issues:
I have a Canon SD1300 and a Canon 300HS. I figure if I want to go super cheap(relative) just to have fun I could go with a Canon housing for the 1300, or I could go with an Ikelite housing for the 300HS for a little better options in a point and shoot. Plus the 300 takes video in 1080P whereas the 1300 only does 640x480. My issue with these is that at ~$189 and $260 respectively that seems like a lot to spend for something that may or may not have the functionality I would like. I, personally, do not like to spend money twice. In other words, would I be disappointed buying something that just didn't do it for me and coming back from the trip wishing I had taken the plunge and put the 200-300 towards a nicer setup. On the other hand, since I do not dive very often (1 trip a year 2 if I am lucky), is it too much to spend on a nicer system that may sit for awhile in between uses?

Here is what I was thinking for the setup: S100 with Ikelite and the YS-01 Strobe.

I want to save some money in the tray and arm area. Are the Fantasea Blue Ray trays and flex arms OK or should I be looking at somethingbetter? Also, is it worth adding a nice video light as this camera does 1080P. I thought the I-torch Pro 4 would be nice, but is that too muchfor this this system. Could I go cheaper and get the sameresult?

With the Blue Ray trays and arms I priced it out at $1224 add another $400 for the Torch if I buy the set.

I have been diving for maybe ten years or more, but only have about a bit over 100 dives(I wish it were way more). Although, I find I breathe very well and have decent control of my buoyancy every time I go. So using the camera is not at issue.

TIA for any help.

Here is what I was thinking for the setup: S100 with Ikelite and the YS-01 Strobe.

Ironically I just went through this. Used a cheapo sealife mini last year diving and hungered for better pics. Heading to Cozumel March 8.

Did some research and got the s95/ys-01. You should probably consider the same:

1. The S95 has more lens options for the future (from what I've read on here the s100 lens isn't as suitable for wet lenses)

2. The s95 is now on sale and you can save quite a bit. I think the only thing the s100 does 'better' is the upgrade from 720p to 1080 for video... but 720 is still pretty good.

I also wouldn't cheap out on the tray/arms as the UWphotoguide recommends, I went with ultralight... they said the cheaper ones were hard to work with. And when it's time to upgrade your camera in the future the tray/arm/strobe will all still be usable.

1. The S95 has more lens options for the future (from what I've read on here the s100 lens isn't as suitable for wet lenses)

2. The s95 is now on sale and you can save quite a bit. I think the only thing the s100 does 'better' is the upgrade from 720p to 1080 for video... but 720 is still pretty good.

Thanks jamez. I did some reading on the wet lenses issue with the s100 and I don't think it will shy me away from it. I don't own any lenses as yet, and I know there are some lenses that work well and there will be more in the future. It has to due with the fact that most lenses are not built for the wide optics (24mm) that the s100 has.

Also, I want a platform that does pics and video equally well, relatively. I think the s100 has the video options I am looking for. Thanks for the advice on the tray and arms as well. I don't want to be upset with cheap choices, but I don't want to break the wallet either.

I will be in Cozumel on the 3rd and leaving on the 10th at the Iberostar so are trips don't overlap much.

Thanks jamez. I did some reading on the wet lenses issue with the s100 and I don't think it will shy me away from it.

I don't want to be upset with cheap choices, but I don't want to break the wallet either.
Trust me I've been struggling with the same things! I ended up deciding at the end of the day anything I chose the 'cheaper' option on now I'd just end up upgrading later, and in the end it would end up costing me more... I ended up going with:

S95/Fix Housing/YS-01/Fix UWL 04/Ultralight Tray/Arm... totaled out to $2300-2400... but I'm confident I'll be happy with this for a long time and can always add a 2nd strobe... and the S95 is a fully capable above-water camera I'll get use out of.

Don't forget there are some additional costs..
memory cards (SDHC class 6 or above) especially if you plan to take a good amount of HD video,
rechargeable high performance batteries for the strobe,
spare canon battery.. they lose juice fairly quickly
connecting cable for strobe, not included with the ys01
moisture munchers for your housing, etc etc.
last thing you wanna do is get there and be missing something you need :D

I went with the nice stuff. S100/Recsea/Dyron 15mm/Ys-01/Sola 800/Ultralight. Expensive, but after looking at all the issues with other setups I decided to go big or go home. LOL. I wll post some pics when I get back along with a short review. BTW, Scott and Mark over at Bluewater were very cool, and helped me out a lot.

I checked Backscatter (a shop the specializes in underwater photography). The have 2 housings that will allow for wet lenses with macro capability for the S100. Both housings cost almost $900 each. It seems as if neither housing will do a fisheye adaptation. You might want to check with Bluewater, Backscatter or Reefphoto about this. People at these shops are pretty knowledgeable and can tell you the costs and benefits of each housing.

I went with the nice stuff. S100/Recsea/Dyron 15mm/Ys-01/Sola 800/Ultralight. Expensive, but after looking at all the issues with other setups I decided to go big or go home. LOL. I wll post some pics when I get back along with a short review. BTW, Scott and Mark over at Bluewater were very cool, and helped me out a lot.
Nice! I felt the same way. I only have 15 days til touchdown in Coz... can't wait! The s95 is already taking great pics above water, very excited to get it under :D

Tribalrites - thanks for the great feedback - looking forward to seeing your photos! People have been getting some great video with the Recsea S100 + Sola 800, we'll post some footage soon. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom