New Second Stage for Mares Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older MR-22 Mares Abyss I bought from the owner of my LDS. Even though regularly serviced [and it belonged to the dive shop owner -- her regular reg], I get water in the second stage whenever I invert, i.e., head-down position. It's nothing major, just highly annoying. I've had the LDS look at the issue and they can't solve it, or even improve the situation. I'm thinking of getting a new second stage only, to replace the aparent problem. Any suggestions, other than buying another Abyss second stage?

...Larry @ Scubatoys is right, I'd replace the silicone exhaust valve..........among my 'fleet' of regs I dive the Mares 'RUBY' and Mares MR16 VOLTREX, the Voltrex 2nd stage is essentially identical to the Abyss 2nd stage, and all my Mares regs are dry-as-a-bone in all positions, so I doubt your Abyss 2nd stage is performing 'normally'.

I'd try the new exhaust valve first....buying a new Abyss 2nd stage might be more expensive than you think........ I just upgraded an Aqualung Titan with the pneumatically balanced 2nd stage, converting it to an Aqualung Titan LX....and even with a 10% discount off retail the 2nd stage was $ 189.00, which is half the price of a whole new regulator....the good news is that I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier the new 2nd stage breathed, at least at the shop, as I haven't dove it yet........the Titan LX felt as if it had ZERO cracking pressure....totally effortless....WOW !!!

....I'll bet if you end up buying an Abyss 2nd stage, in the end you'll end up spending more for your reg than a whole new Abyss would have cost....so I hope the new exhaust valve works for you.

Karl

Generally that is the exhaust valve. It is either gotten stiff or damaged or is the wrong one. If the "pinch" gap on the little stem is to large for the thickness of the receiving hole the valve will not pull up tightly and can leak. Here is something, many regulators will leak a bit in that position, feet up and head down, it is a diffucult position for conventional hubcap type second stages for reasons that involve an explanation I don't feel like giving at the moment. I would hate to see you buy a new one to only have a similar result. N

Thanks for the advice. What I was also wondering was: if I decide to get a new second stage, and do NOT want to get the Abyss 2d stage, what would folks recommend to put with the Abyss 1st stage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom