New Sea Life DC500 Elite Camera Set - help wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadds49

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post on Scuba Board. I just used my DC500 Elite camera with digital strobe for the first time in a lake in Chicago. I have heard all the nagatives about the camera. However, I would like to be able to take underwater pictures on a reliable basis with this system. My problem is with the lack of reliability of the digital strobe underwater. On my first dive, without using the wide angle lens, the stroble fired 9 out 10 times. However, on the second dive, with the wide angle lens attached, the strobe rarely fired. I have the latest firmware and fiber optic cable installed properly (I believe). Also, prior to the wide angle lens falling off the camera and being lost in the
lake, the pictures I took had a dark ring around the outside. I believe this from the lens starting to loosen up prior to falling off. I have e-mailed Sea Life, but as yet have not had a reply. I believe they offer a free maintenance service during which they install the flash cable for you in the right position. Any had any similar experiences? Suggestions. Please don't tell me the camera is a piece of junk. I understand it's limitations, but would still like to work with it. Looking forward to your replies!!

First off don't let the camera nazi's discourage you. I have the camera and love it. Are you shooting in sea mode with forced flash?

:crafty: Umm where did you lose the lens, I need a wide angle. LOL

Hello Everyone- this is my scuba dive buddy! I finally pursuaded him to join SB. Please be sure to welcome him. He is the reason that I am finally certified. It has taken him two years to get me here. He is the best dive buddy - he is so patient with me!

Using it in the external flash mode. Have not tried the sea mode yet. Sea Life says you can use either. As for the wide angle lens, I'll let you know where I do my next dive with my new wide angle lens, so you can have it when it falls off again.

:lol: LOL Welcome to the board. Did you have the dock for it, or did it just fall off the face of the camera?
Lurker.jpg

SnailWorld.jpg

Taken with my dc500 in the murky waters of the midwest mud puddles

We have a ton of fun with Loves Park Scuba out of Rockford.
http://www.lovesparkscuba.com/
They do Lake Michigan tours a lot, I think he is going on the weekend again baring weather Problems. I know it is a long way in the north woods for you IL guys, but have you been to Wazee Lake in Black River falls yet? Great place easy diving but can be challenging if you want
http://www.wazeesports.com/

Hey Amedeus,
Force him into taking you into WI diving, we can look for his lens!
IMG_0043.jpg

Typical man. I did'nt think I'd need to use the lens dock. Expensive lesson. Just heard from SeaLife. I am going to send the flash back to them for service.

Hello CheddarChick (btw - cute handle) - thanks for helping out my dive buddy. I have worked long and hard to get him here on scubaboard so that he could engage with other divers to get feedback from them regarding his new toy. The pictures you have taken with your camera are great!

I am sure that we will get up to WI some day. He finally got me certified this past summer so that was the biggest hurdle that he needed to overcome. I wish we had a local pool that we could use to go diving in just to play around with to practice skills.

We went to Pearl Lake last Friday. That is when he lost his lens. He lost his lens while trying to find me. I had a problem in which I began to ascend for no reason. It turns out that I learned that aluminum tanks go positively bouyant around 1000 psi. He is a real sweetie and has been very patient with me.

We must stay in touch so that when we do make it up into your neck of the woods we can get together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom