New score!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys. I just popped into the dive shop that I DM for, and the owner told me she just had a guy come in trying to sell her some gear. She bought his used AL 80's, and he handed her a bag full of old stuff that he didn't want anymore, so she gave it to me. I scored a perfect pair of size large Jetfins, an old Aqualung "wrap around" mask, a weight belt with a cool SS depth compensating buckle, and one of those double tank cross over manifolds that you would use to attach two tanks with regular valves and have one outlet.

Now the really interesting part is the regs. There was one first stage, which I THINK is a Voit/AMF first stage, and 3 second stages. One Conshelf Supreme, one Swimaster, and one MR-12 II. I am hoping some of you knowledgeable vintage guys can tell me a bit about the regs, in particular the approximate age, which second stage would have come with that first stage, and are they still serviceable, as I would like to service one, and use it on a Healthways steel 72 with plastic backpack that I picked up last year.

Thanks in advance guys!

Jim

SDC11359.JPG

SDC11360.JPG

SDC11362.JPG

SDC11363.JPG

SDC11364.JPG

Those are really nice finds, cool single hose vintage regs or nearly so. Verrrrrrr-rrrry nice!

n

The first stage is can be rebuilt. It is a balanced diaphragm design. Similar to a Conshelf, but all the guts are accessed from under the diaphragm. It can actually use the same seat as in an Aqua Lung Conshelf, Titan, etc. Some Mares also use the same seat. The first stage is part of the MR-12 (Military Regulator- 1 hose, 2 stages).

I am not very familiar with the Swimaster , but I am sure it is a basic down stream demand valve that uses a standard seat.

The other two second stages are also easily service and if properly tuned they can be very good performers.

Warning: shortly after diving these regulators you may have a strong desire of getting some double hose… followed by more double hose regulators… and possibly followed by some Zeagle’s collecting a lot of dust. :wink:

Nice find.
Good luck.

The MR-12 can be rebuilt. Someone (Antiquediver??) on VDH gave me the info on crossing the diaphrams and exhaust valves to modern Mares regs...off hand I don't remember what they were......it's been 6 months since I ordered them and they still are not here.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone have an approximate guess at the age?

Luis, a double hose (or two) has been on my short list for a while now. There is a swap meet for Southern Ontario coming up in April, hopefully I can land something nice from there. But I can't quite see me hanging up those Zeagles just yet, at least not for my tech training!

Jim

The target face Voit is late 70s I think. Yours seems to have the larger exhaust tee so it is a late model. These are the ancestors to today's Mares MR12 regs (I have a mint, cherry set of these MR12II)

The black face Voit is late 60s. (I have these also)

The Calypso/Conshelf I cannot see well enough. (a few of these)

The first stages are Voit MR12 and these were made over a long span of time 60 to early 80s, a decent first and easy to cobble an overhaul.

The target face Voit is the MR12II with the venturi tube the black face model did not have. The target face unit is a top end all metal regulator that works as well as anything made today or so close it hardly matters.

N

Thanks for the info. I think I will end up overhauling that MR12 and making it my "vintage" single hose reg, and I am going to keep the Calypso, for when I eventually get a PRAM and use it as an octopus.

Do any of you guys happen to have any manuals for the MR12?

Do any of you guys happen to have any manuals for the MR12?

You don't really need one. If you can rebuild a Conshelf you can do the MR 12.

Hey jimmer just give Dan's a call dan was a dealer for those when they were new and still has parts and manuals for them

My buddy chris still dives a set of mr12's he boght brand new from Dan's in 1975 ish great regs Still not as cool as a double hose tho

Thanks Jean, I found the manuals online, opened up the first stage, and it is in good shape, just needs a diaphragm by the looks of it. The second stages all look good, hold pressure, breathe nicely. I know what you mean about the double hose tho, I'm gonna look around at the scuba swap this year and see if I can find something for a decent bargain.

P.S. we had to cancel the ice dive this year, only had a couple guys interested, and then a few backed out at the last minute anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom