New rules for diving at Balicasag Island, Panglao, Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In return for this is the LGU making sure there's no fishing there also?

In your dreams. There are a few thousand people living on Balicasag. Who will stop them from fishing? They need to eat. Who stops the locals from fishing in Cabilao where the dive and camera fees are more than Balicasag. They also need to eat. These fees are simply revenue for the local governments. Where the money goes is anyone's guess. On my one time dive at Cabilao I heard dynamite in the distance. Yes, some Filipinos still dynamite fish even though it is illegal.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info. We just returned from Moalboal a couple of months ago. I have to say that I was very impressed with the variety of marine life I saw at Moalboal and Pescador. One can tell that there is marine preservation. I only saw line fishing. In terms of food, there was minimal fish served - mainly pork, chicken or veggies. I think it's really great and that Bohol can protect the marine sanctuaries in their area like at Moalboal.

In return for this is the LGU making sure there's no fishing there also?

Of course not Matt. As Gilligan said, this is a money grab pure and simple. The dive sites around Bohol are all supposed to be strictly no take zones, but there are fishermen at each site every day. These fishermen use every method available including lines, nets, spears and probably poisons. There is ZERO enforcement of any kind. You can go to any fish market in the area and find juvenile fish of just about every species. I have seen shark and manta ray meat for sale several times. Where are the inspectors? I understand that people have to eat and fishermen have to earn a living, but come on. Most of the fish in the market including tuna, parrot fish, and angel fish will not even cover the palm of your hand. That kind of reckless removal of such young fish is unsustainable.

Here is a picture I took at Balicasag a month ago. The fishermen use cut up tires tied together to make a line that goes down to lobster or shrimp or fish traps. They are all over the island. Now what do you think is going to happen to that coral when they pull up their trap?
PICT0335.jpg

The problem is that the government is afraid of the fishermen because the fishermen vote. "Rich" tourists and expats do not. The government fails to realize we vote with something far more powerful. Money. I for one am done going to Balicasag until I see some sort of effort to really protect the environment. I am happy to pay for real protection like I have seen at Apo, Verde and Pescador Islands. I would love to volunteer my time and skills doing reef restoration projects or clean ups or surveys. It seems no one is interested in anything like that. They only want the money.

A little more info:
The ten diver per boat limit still stands but I am told there is non compliance with it.
The online booking closing time run by the municipality is extended from 4 pm until 7 pm.
The maximum advance booking time is 10 days. This is causing a lot of issues with dive shop owners for the upcoming busy season.
The camera fee was initially not in the plan but added on. Some dvers with small cameras avoid the fee by putting the cameras in their BCD pocket.

Remember the Philippines is "consistently inconsistent".

I saw this online today at http://www.boholnewstoday.com/201505/panglao-dads-retort-to-untrue-accusation.htm
I will present it with no comment, other than to say I added the red lettering to hi light what I thought was the best line in the article.
The following lines were spoken by the Mayor and Vice Mayor of Panglao:

Stressing tourism as its main economic driver, Montero said that this town could earn as much as PhP8.6 million every year from revenues of scuba dive alone. And this is being given a priority and attention by the Montero-Fuertes administration by formulating strategies in the proper implementation of tourism-related policies, Mayor Montero said in an exclusive interview yesterday.

Montero has computed how she reached the amount. She said that at Php250/person/dive multiplied by 60 persons per dive site per day, it would be PhP15,000. This figure multiplied by 16 potential dive sites in the municipal territorial jurisdiction, it would be a PhP240,000 multiplied by 30 days equals to PhP720,000. The amount of PhP720,000 multiplied by Php 12 months it will be a whooping Php8.6 million per year.
This is aside from other fees, such as mooring and snorkeling, also considered as income earners.
She said this is realistic since her administration is enforcing an executive order that empowers dive organizations. And the said policy strictly requires every dive outfit to become a member of the Panglao Divers Association (PADO) headed by Holger Horn, the mayor said.
Another salient point, she said, is that one-entry-one-exit policy is to be carried out. Her administration is to assign personnel in every dive site to monitor and collect the fees.
The said executive order harmonizes with the old policies governing dive activities of tourism, which she considers as the “goose that lays the golden eggs.”
The revenues generated from tourism-related activities will be used for peace and order, environmental protection/preservation and social concerns, Montero said.

That about sums up the plan kevin! Charge the tourists a hefty fee to go the area, meanwhile ignore the illegal and unsustainable fishing.
I'll be in the area next month and have been assured our liveaboard can still visit- just waiting to hear if my already hefty park fee is to be increased due to this new "rule" - cluck cluck here comes the goose!

Hi all

Just back from trip and I have to say that diving at Balicasag was great!

The park fee I paid to Siren for the overall trip was not increased, though they may do this in the future i don;t know
i know the Siren needed to register all of the divers with the local authority before we arrived and specify the intended day of our visit. They also have to pay an annual fee to be able to bring the boat there and moor up.
I did not see any fishing traps during my dives. Thats not to say they would not be there are some point but perhaps there are some controls being put into place?

Our group did 4 dives around the island - Divers Heaven, Black Forest, Sanctuary and Divers Heaven night dive.
We really enjoyed the dives there.
There were huge green turtles in the shallows feasting on the sea grass.
We found loads of frogfish - giant and warty varieties. My friend has a great clip on a Gopro of 3 giant froggies swimming along in formation
The corals were healthy with plenty of hard and soft corals - both along the walls and on shallow water bommies
There were hundred of nembrotha nudibranchs at Black Forest. They were in groups ; mating ; eating tunicates or moving along - I could not stop taking photos!

Definitely still worthwhile to visit Balicasag - whether by liveaboard or day trip from Alona Beach, but check with your operator beforehand to ensure they can register you.

Cheers
Susie

Thanks for the info Jim. I've been back to Panglao a couple times in the last 2 years...its not like is was ten years ago! I'm not coming there this trip.

I don't mind paying a bit more for Balicasag...but I want 3 tanks if I'm there...:)

take care...hope all is well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom