New rig and first pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently had the urge to upgrade after unsatisfying results on a Cayman trip last year with my Oly SP-350. So I sold my D300 and all lenses (too expensive to house and get proper lenses, plus no video), and the SP-350 and housing. Kept my D2000 strobe and ULCS arm/tray. Took the proceeds and dumped that into everything below – came within $25 of what I sold the old gear for (not counting the 20mm & 45-200)!!

My new kit consists of:

e-pl1
14-42 kit lens & zoom gear
UCL-165M67 macro lens
7-14mm Panny WA
Oly PT-EP01 housing
PMLA-EP01 macro adapter
Zen 7-14 dome
ULCS double arm tray
Inon D2000 strobe
L&M Sola 600 focus / video light
Spare battery
two Transcend 16GB class 10 SDHC cards

For above water only also have:
Panny 20mm f1.7
Panny 45-200 f4-5.6

Got it all wet for the first time 3/5-13 on the Belize Aggressor III trip.

Here are my favorites, C&C welcome:

P3090867-30.jpg

P3080768-2.jpg

P3080843-18.jpg

P3080855-27.jpg

P3090933-42.jpg

P3111123-36.jpg

This one surprised me when I got home, I was intending to shoot the juvenile trumpetfish but then when reviewing my shots I noticed the little guy with the yellow eye hiding below the trumpetfish! Anyone know what this little guy is?

P3101110-34.jpg

All 100 or so are here: http://belizeaggressoriiimarch2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

This one surprised me when I got home, I was intending to shoot the juvenile trumpetfish but then when reviewing my shots I noticed the little guy with the yellow eye hiding below the trumpetfish! Anyone know what this little guy is?

Nice work with the new set.
That litte thing with the yellow eyes looks like a slender filefish.

Looks like you made a great upgrade. Some very nice shots. Are you planning on doing a trip report? Was Juan Divemastering?

Those look like they should be in a magazine or something.

Thanks very much for the kind words! I took over 700 pictures on the trip and had about 100 or so that I liked. That's SO MANY more than any other trip before and while I'm sure it had lots to do with learning like a sponge from other photographers on the boat and having almost instant feedback and the ability to dive back in and "give it another shot" I can't say enough how happy I am with this new rig!

Full trip report is here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li.../375709-belize-aggressor-iii-trip-report.html

Crew was Simon, captain, Andrina and Jody were DM/Instructors, Yanis cooked and I'll be darned if I can remember the other two but from the looks of the Captain's log from 3/19 they've got two new crew. Doesn't surprise me, the one guy who's name escapes me was for lack of a better word, lazy. Didn't quite seem to pull his weight no matter how much grief Yanis gave him!

Here's a link to a longer review of the e-pl1 I wrote - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/375737-e-pl1-first-pictures-review.html

My only gripe is that once in the housing you can't pop the flash up so, inevitably, you'll forget and be without your strobe for an entire dive...I did. :furious:

Did you take any videos? Would like to see how this setup performs taking videos...

Well, the second picture is now my desktop background if that is any indication of how much I like your rig / work.

Did you take any videos? Would like to see how this setup performs taking videos...

I did but haven't had the time to "process" them. Need to get into software and white balance and edit them up. I have looked through them and the one thing I can say is that with a kit this small its critical to concentrate and keep the camera steady. Next time I'd probably try shooting more video with the 7-14mm at 7mm.

Well, the second picture is now my desktop background if that is any indication of how much I like your rig / work.

Very flattering, thanks! Glad you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom