New regulator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robwho??

Registered
Reaction score
For the last several years I have been renting my regulators. I have finally decided to purchase my own regulator set up. I would like to hear other peoples advice or recommendations...

To start, I live in California, so my diving will be in water temps in the 50's year around. My local dive shops carry Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, and Mares. I would like to keep it to those brands for scheduled service purposes. I would also like to keep my budget under $1500. That would include the 1st and 2nd stage, octopus, and analog triple gauge (depth, pressure, compass).

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Even cheaper Mk11/C370

All three sets in these last posts are superb performers. The G260 is a workhorse that will last a lifetime. The new Mk19 is a Mk17 with a turret for optimal hose routing. Its Intermediate Pressure drop on full purge is only 11psi!!!

Mk17EVO is a Mk19 without the turret. For single tank it's just as good unless you have preferences for your hoses.

Mk11 is a Mk17 without the environmental seal. You don't need a seal for SoCal diving. C370 much more popular in Europe, and is fantastic breather. Lighter weight than G260.

Easy, peasy. Choose what you can afford and all three sets will be good for 30 years.

Aqualung makes great regs. But I think their second stage plastic bits are less durable.
Hollis is being neglected by the corporate owners.
Mares is a service nightmare. Well, not really, but the Scubapro diaphragms are much more robust.

My 2 cents.

You really shouldn't mention Mares and the other brands in the same sentence with Scubapro :)

Scubapro is the way to go! MK19/G260, MK17/G260, MK17/C370 (in order of preference).

While I am truthfully a ScubaPro junkie and agree with all the above, I do need to ask - Is there a HOG or Deep6 source there?

While I am truthfully a ScubaPro junkie and agree with all the above, I do need to ask - Is there a HOG or Deep6 source there?

If the dive shop carries Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, and Mares, you think they would sell D6 also? I'd ask if they have Atomic but not "HOG or D6" :)

If the dive shop carries Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, and Mares, you think they would sell D6 also? I'd ask if they have Atomic but not "HOG or D6" :)

Other shops? Interestingly enough, a long time "Platinum" SP shop here one day suddenly became a "H" dealer, and when asked about HOG said "cheap junk". They are now a HOG dealer too (along with a few more lines)...

Other shops?

He already said that he is committed to this particular LDS:
My local dive shops carry Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, and Mares. I would like to keep it to those brands for scheduled service purposes.

Back
Top Bottom