New Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was unbalanced...which was the problem. Not a lot of alternate air sources (especially integrated ones) are balanced. Probably more accurate for me to have said that if you buy a Aqualung Legend then you will need to pair it up with balanced second stage alternates. That said, I have had my reg torn apart three times (by different dive shops) to try to get it to work right with unbalanced alternates--but to no avail. I wish that the dive shop would have informed me of this issue when I purchased it. They knew my setup, knew it wasn't compatible, but sold it to me anyway. Now my entire reg setup is Aqualung. It works great....it just got expensive as I had to converty "everything" over to Aqualung.

It was unbalanced...which was the problem. Not a lot of alternate air sources (especially integrated ones) are balanced. Probably more accurate for me to have said that if you buy a Aqualung Legend then you will need to pair it up with balanced second stage alternates. That said, I have had my reg torn apart three times (by different dive shops) to try to get it to work right with unbalanced alternates--but to no avail. I wish that the dive shop would have informed me of this issue when I purchased it. They knew my setup, knew it wasn't compatible, but sold it to me anyway. Now my entire reg setup is Aqualung. It works great....it just got expensive as I had to converty "everything" over to Aqualung.
Sounds pretty strange. I had an unbalanced second stage hooked up to my Legend first stage for years. No issues at all.

The unbalanced second is not the problem but the primary second being balanced may well be masking the problem. A few psi increase over ambient should not cause an unbalanced second stage to freeflow unless it is set very close to the edge. No tech should set an octo that close. My guess is you have a creeping first stage, something that is easily mask by a good balanced second stage. That should of been the first thing the tech checked and really makes me question the quality of your techs. Get yourself an IP guage and test the reg yourself, then you will know for sure. Every diver should have one, they are cheap ($20ish at Leisurepro) , the test is very simple and then you will know for sure. Even if you don't want to repair it yourself, at least you know if the tech is BSing you or not. Go read the DIY reg inspection sticky. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Greetings SIRossi and both regs are very good performers.
Either will serve you well, personally I have used the Legends more but have been with others diving the MK 25's.
My experience is that a very qualified tech who has experience can rebuild and or service your regs and not have any issues.
Can it happen sure but that is why warranty is sold on the higher end regulators.
When purchasing a reg you need to ensure the customer service will be intact.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Back
Top Bottom