New regulation to enter Ecuador as of May 1, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"My wife and I have an annual medical coverage that costs next to nothing and covers us all around the world. We recommend that to our clients."
The Holy Grail, and about as elusive. Is it only available to ex-military expats from a particular country? Does it have an annual or lifetime limit? A huge deductible? Or are you in the income bracket that says anything under five figures is next to nothing?
We'd all be interested to hear if you really do have a bargain that's available to the general public.

Would be nice to be in such an income bracket - the travel business may have its perks but its not usually in terms of high income. It maybe that living in Europe, and certainly in France, we have access to insurance coverage that is lower than policies in the US. My wife and I have a policy with AVA Assurance that costs around $200 per year for the two of us and covers travel/medical coverage for all our overseas travel - even back to the US where we are both citizens. You can see the details on their website www.AVA.fr - all in French I'm afraid. It is part of the AIG and they offer 500,000 euro medical coverage, 4,500,000 euro 3rd party, cancellation up to 10,000 euro per year, plus delay, loss of baggage etc etc.

I have no idea if you may find a similar insurance in the US. We have a separate dive and watersports insurance with DAN (although we also recommend DIVE ASSURE) and I believe they also offer a travel/medical supplement to their diver policy. I have not researched this and as that's not my area of expertise, I am not really qualified to comment on that but here is what we will now advise all our clients going to Galapagos.

NEW regulation per 1 MAY 2018: Any person who enters Ecuador as a tourist must be able to present proof of public or private FULL COVERAGE international health insurance for the duration of their stay in Ecuador.

From what we understand this means guests need insurance that covers them for health, in short they need health insurance over and above DAN. However if their DAN policy also entails health insurance then that maybe fine, however please ensure as per the new regulations that guest are able to prove that health insurance is in place when entering Ecuador. We recommend that you contact DAN or your dive insurance provider and ask the if they cover that, and if they do, can they send you something that states that clearly and will be enough for Ecuadorian Immigration.

Will keep you posted when we learn more but if you find a policy for US residents that is close to this, then please let su know.

Gargoyle Chrome will render web sites in English pretty nicely. But it sounds like that is a policy for residents of France only, and that you qualify based on a long-term residence status, rather than by your citizenship? Which policy is that?

I actually have dual citizenship so we have a policy under our EU citizenship and current residency in the EU. What I hoped to advise people is that we do have this opportunity for such insurance in the EU, and that armed with that knowledge, they maybe better prepared to search for something similar in the US. I really do not know if that exists but it would surprise me if something similar did not exist - it just may mean a bit of searching. To paraphrase Richard Bach, you are never given a wish without also the power to make it come true, however some things you may have to work a little harder for.

Sorry guys. I had a letter from the Minister of Tourism., but could not respond earlier than now. I left the US and arrived in Quito. The next day, I stepped off a curb and broke my tibia and fibula. It required surgery. Hospital Metropolitano was great, same accreditation as MD Anderson and any number of US hospitals. My surgeon has 22 years experience in orthopedic surgery and is a member of the US Association of Orthopedic Surgeons.

Now, I bought Allianz when I purchased my ticket. It covers up to $25K in medical. They paid the hospital directly. I was not out of pocket. Process was simple. My policy cost $58. Seemed better than some of the more expensive travel insurance people buy. I buy it virtually every time I book flights, but this is the first time I ever used it. I'm impressed.

I now have 16 screws and 2 titanium plates and cannot put weight on my leg for 6 weeks. Been here countless times. It just takes 1 mindless move.

So regardless of the law...and yes, it will become law May 1 that any tourist entering Ecuador must have proof of health insurance for the time they are in country...it's good to have. Can't recommend the staff of Hotel Mercure highly enough either. I'm still here for now.

Just got this from Ecuador

We would like to inform you that the Ecuadorian government has delayed the health or travel insurance requirement for visitors coming to Ecuador for 90 days.

This means that visitors will NOT BE REQUIRED to present proof of insurance to enter Ecuador until July 22nd, 2018.

Ecuador’s tourism industry is requesting the Government to abolish this requirement and are hopeful that this will happen.

We will keep you informed about any changes in the matter.

Any updates on this requirement? Suggestions on best deals for this insurance.

As of January 1, 2018 Ecuador does require tourists to have some level of health insurance through either a private or public provider. Per the Organic Law of Human Mobility from the Ecuadorian National Assembly in Article 52, “The Ecuadorian State will promote policies that protect foreigners in Ecuador in case of illness, accident or death, being necessary for the resident person to have a public or private insurance that consolidates this benefit”.

Article 53 states, “7. Have a public or private health insurance for the time of your stay in Ecuador, except for the case of people in need of international protection”.

Having a copy of your health insurance policy or a policy card should be sufficient proof.

DAN travel insurance has medical coverage. So hope that is acceptable?

Just fyi...they are not yet enforcing this. Like many things, it keeps getting put off. The travel insurance you can purchase when booking a flight should suffice. Allianz is very inexpensive and has $25K in medical emergency coverage. I actually broke my leg and ankle pretty badly last March. Ended up in Hospital Metropolitano ER in Quito followed by surgery on my leg the next day and a 3 night stay. Allianz paid in full before I left the hospital. I did not go out of pocket one dime. Part of that was because Metropolitano is an approved hospital for Allianz. It has the same accreditation as US hospitals. I think I paid about $58 for the insurance, but I had a 3 week itinerary in 2 countries. And oh, the trip to the ER followed by 3 nights in a private room and the surgery was about $7000.

Back
Top Bottom