New regs need to be tune out of the box???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaevis

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a new reg, but also heard that regs should be tune out of the box. Anyone can offer any advice?

Thank you!

Jaevis:
Hi all,

Just bought a new reg, but also heard that regs should be tune out of the box. Anyone can offer any advice?

Thank you!

I'm not a reg tech but as a consumer I have found regs come out of the box set for the easiest breathing in the easiest conditions. If you dive cold water for example you will probably want your reg tuned for the environment.

--Matt

With any piece of mechanical equipment, items such as springs can take an age set. About the only adjustment of concern with a new reg would be the intermediate pressure. An IP gauge works by plugging it in to the BC inflator hose and any adjustments will likely not require anything other than an allen wrench (hex key). Buy a gauge and keep it in you save a dive kit- they run about $20 delivered on ebay. Take a look at www.wetlands.simplyaquatics.com/manuals/ to find out the IP setting for your reg.

ScottZeagle:
Your local dealer should at least check the reg and see if any tuning is needed.

Scott

This is good advice. When I used to sell regs on a daily basis, I would have to adjust them about 10% of the time. They are usually set very sensitive, and most people dont like them like that, not to mention that they will be more prone to freeflows.

I agreewith Lubold. Most regs are tuned ok out of the box. I also find that some of the premium regs rarely have problems. I rarely adjust an Apeks out ofthe box, but sherwood on the other hand (nothig wrong with them, they are great regs) I have had to do as much as remove a shim... So it wouldn't hurt to take the reg into a pool or at least have a look or test on it before it comes time to use it.

another good reason to purchase your regulator from you local dive shop .... they will check it out and make any adjustments needed for free ...... see if you can get that kind of service off E Bay ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom