New Reg Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rried

Reaction score
I've been using a Titan Glacia for the last few years. I've had no problems with it, but since adding a transmitter for my Suunto Vytec to the HP port I have no available HP port to use a backup SPG. Every once in awhile (like now) I start feeling I should upgrade to a new reg with two HP ports. I don't mind paying for a quality reg. I dive recreationally in warm and "cool" (SoCal) water. Any recommendations re what to buy/not buy would be greatly appreciated!

All modern regs from the big player of the industry (Scubapro, Aqualung, Mares) would make you happy for the dives you've described. Other companies make excellent regs too (Zeagle, etc.).
It boils down to personal preference, what good of a deal you can get as well as ease and cost of servicing in your area and abroad if you intend to travel.
I was very pleased with my Mares Abyss and dive now with Apeks DS4/ATX50 and still not convinced that I "upgraded". I also have a Poseidon Jetstream, which is a very nice reg but expensive and somewhet difficult to service (Lack of people who know what they're doing)

Thanks Oren,

I understand it will come down to what seems to make sense when I walk into my local LDS. Just fishing for some advice.

BTW, the reg I want to replace was from Groundhog divers in Kitchner (I moved to SoCal from Waterloo). Just around the corner from you. Kind of miss the ON dive spots sometimes!

Well, in this case: Buy the Mares Abyss. You'll not regret it. :D
I bet you miss the wrecks, eh? :wink:

he shouldn't!! at least san diego has some wrecks..northern california..none!!

I really like my Atomic and Apeks regs. They are a little spendy but well worth it. Mares and Oceanic make some good less expensive regs. Any name brand balanced or over balanced reg will work well. I like Scuba Pro, Mares, Apeks, Atomic, Oceanic and Poseidon regs.

Did lots of research, looked at the Apeks 100 & 200, Atomic M1, and the ScubaPro titanium series. Found out that the Legend LX is almost identical to the Apeks 200, and went with it (also read some good reviews & comparisons). Only have about 6 dives on it so far, and still tweaking the settings, but feels perfect from 0 to 110 fsw.

I've also got to go with the mares abyss. It breathes like a dream. I've even laid on the bottom at 130' looking up towards the surface and breathed without a problem.

A

Next time you are on the bottom, try blowing ring bubbles, from that depth they will become huge at the surface.

Apeks, see you at 150ft........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom