New question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
ok im a photo dummie
i have a auto 35 and cant seem to take a decent pic, all i get is back scatter, even in the pool....
i habe no strobe arm just the basic outa the box camera, any idea how i can take a decent pic, and what film i should be using

Back scatter is due primarily to the flash going off too close to the lens so that the particles directly in front of the lens are illuminated. There's not much you can do unless you use a light source off the camera body itself. You might want to try shooting natural light (turning off the camera's flash). I'm sure you'll get significantly less backscatter, but the drawback is with natural light, it's going to be filtered somewhat through the water and everything will have a greenish hue to it, which will be more pronounced the deeper you go.

Warren_L:
Back scatter is due primarily to the flash going off too close to the lens so that the particles directly in front of the lens are illuminated. There's not much you can do unless you use a light source off the camera body itself. You might want to try shooting natural light (turning off the camera's flash). I'm sure you'll get significantly less backscatter, but the drawback is with natural light, it's going to be filtered somewhat through the water and everything will have a greenish hue to it, which will be more pronounced the deeper you go.
ok ill try that,, what about film..
200? 400? really im a total idiot when it comes to this stuff

If you're not using the flash It might be better to use 400 speed film. It should allow for use in less light than 200, and without a flash you will have less light.

What kind of camera is it? One in a housing or an underwater camera?

Another suggestion is to forget trying to do wide angle shots except in very shallow and clear water, then turn the flash off. Keep the distance to your subject short, say 4 ft or less. You can do some pretty good work with an internal flash IF you limit your subject to short distances. If you have a close up lens or better yet a macro lens, use them. Wide angle shots with an internal strobe are going to have at least some back scatter no matter what you do. 400 speed will help but if it were me, I would opt for 100 sp and do only closeup work.

Leesa, it's an Ikelite Auto 35 - an point and shoot 35mm in a housing.

Thanks herman :D If it is in a housing would there be some difusser on it? If not, could you insert one? Would that help in any way?

Back
Top Bottom