New PST E7-100 - Cleaning and Maintenance Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been lusting over these tanks for the last several months and stumbled into an awesome deal on a new pair this weekend.

Couple of questions if you don’t mind: First, first thing I did was take the LARGE PST sticker off. There is still a little bit of sticky residue left on the tank. I tried soap and water, but it didn’t come off. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Second – should I take the book off sometimes when I clean it after a dive? If so, what is the best way to get the boot off and back on?

Third – any general care suggestions? I’ve seen steel tanks appearance go down hill very fast. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to help slow it down. I love the look of these tanks.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Michael

Talon:
I have been lusting over these tanks for the last several months and stumbled into an awesome deal on a new pair this weekend.

Couple of questions if you don’t mind: First, first thing I did was take the LARGE PST sticker off. There is still a little bit of sticky residue left on the tank. I tried soap and water, but it didn’t come off. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Second – should I take the book off sometimes when I clean it after a dive? If so, what is the best way to get the boot off and back on?

Third – any general care suggestions? I’ve seen steel tanks appearance go down hill very fast. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to help slow it down. I love the look of these tanks.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Michael

Just dive it... The new look fades pretty fast and there's nothing you can do about that. The sticky residue will also go away after you dive it a bit. The boot should be fine as long as you rinse good every dive. If you are in doubt pop it off with a block of wood and a mallet (tap the wood not the boot or tank).

I've had mine for about a year and left the sticker on...

The sticky stuff will come off with a bit of rubbing with mineral oil or lamp oil. If you feel like splurging you could go buy some "Goo Gone" to do the trick.

Best way to fix the boot problem is to take them off with a block of wood/mallet then ether:
- Nail them to the wall in your garage to hang your spare hoses
or
- Put it on your patio with a plant in it.

I like the idea of leaving the boot off, but I worry about the tank not being stable on the dive boats. Don't they have a rounded bottom?

Michael

P.S. I may have some goo gone laying around the house. I'll give that a try.

Yes, they have round bottoms. I never had any trouble with them as singles. Just takes one or 2 times to get used to balancing the thing while crawling into your kit. You shouldn't leave your tank standing up anyway, right. :wink:

I say leave the boot on. Most dive boats have an open (side-to-side) slot to set the tank in, and a bungee or strap to secure the top. A boot will definitely help keep the base of the tank stable. Only a rare boat has the cylinder shaped tank slots, where a booted tank will not fit. You must use extra care to avoid the temptation of leaving the tank standing unattended though.

Good call removing the sticker. I did the same. Don't worry about the gooey stuff left behind...unless you're anal, then use Goo Gone, etc. IMHO keep the boot on and remove only to rinse bottom of tank. Other than rinsing the tank off after every salt water dive, always keeping some air in it and doing the required Hydros/VIPs, that's probably it for cylinder maintenance.

Enjoy the 100s...it felt like I grew a pair of gills after my first few dives with them.

LobstaMan

Thanks everyone for your responses. As for taking the boot off full time, that is not an option for me. On most charter boats here in FL, you store you tanks vertically while they are straped in with a bungee cord. If I was diving off a personal boat in which I stored the tanks horizonally, taking the boot off full time would make perfect sence.

I'm out of goo gone, so I'll leave it to the salt water to clean the tank :) Wish there was a way to keep the nice pretty shine of the tanks. Was hoping someone might know a trick. Oh well, it really doesn't matter that much.

Now I just have to wait for a good weekend to go diving with them!!! I do look forward to the extra gas supply. Even with 80's, I am almost always the last person on the boat, but this will give me a little extra safety margin.

Thanks again everyone!
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom