New PSD, need advice on BCD purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate all the great advice!

I have one more simple but important question:

How much lift do you like to have in your BC/Wing for PSD/Recovery diving?

for the little PSD work I've done, but it is comparable to scientific diving, you don't lift things with your BCD, it is a buoyancy compensation device, not a lifting device. Carry a 50lb lift bag and know how to use it.... much safer

paperdesk, I don't really have an absolute answer for this one other than make sure you have ENOUGH lift for you and what ever gear you will be carrying with you. Considering the BCD's I listed previously, and I feel pretty confident any BCD now days will be sufficient. Now with that being said, being an over achiever like myself, using more lift is not necessarily a bad thing. My OMS Red Wing has a 94 pounds of lift, and I believe my Lifeguard Systems PSD BCD is around 45 or 50 pounds of lift. If you consider what most tech divers use whether they are carrying double steels on their back or slinging 2 to 4 tanks in a sidemount configuration, they range between 45 to 100 pounds of lift (and most use their dry suit as redundancy). As stated by tbone1004, having at least an additional 50 pound lift bag and understanding how to use it is a good back up. We as divers tend to make things too technical sometimes, even in Public Safety Diving, and we forget the basics. I would focus on quality of the material and ease of use (donning in a Rescue not Recovery situation) more than I would on the exact specifics of the BCD.

for the little PSD work I've done, but it is comparable to scientific diving, you don't lift things with your BCD, it is a buoyancy compensation device, not a lifting device. Carry a 50lb lift bag and know how to use it.... much safer

Point well taken, my intention was to find out appropriate lift for myself and my equipment rather than raising an object. I have had configurations recommended to me that have as little as 28lbs of lift, hence, the question.

no one can answer that but you. What exposure protection are you wearing? What tanks are you using? How much extra gear are you carrying and how much does it weigh? The requirements for an al80 with an al19 bottle in a drysuit *where 28lbs would be more than enough*, are very different than if you are diving a HP130 with an AL40 in a 7mm farmer john, where a 40lb wing would be the minimum. 100lbs is excessive no matter how you look at it, the OMS 94lb wings don't count because of the bondage straps on them making them act more similar to 55-60lb wings. Only you can calculate the wing size you need based on your specific gear configuration.

paperdesk, I don't really have an absolute answer for this one other than make sure you have ENOUGH lift for you and what ever gear you will be carrying with you. Considering the BCD's I listed previously, and I feel pretty confident any BCD now days will be sufficient. Now with that being said, being an over achiever like myself, using more lift is not necessarily a bad thing. My OMS Red Wing has a 94 pounds of lift, and I believe my Lifeguard Systems PSD BCD is around 45 or 50 pounds of lift. If you consider what most tech divers use whether they are carrying double steels on their back or slinging 2 to 4 tanks in a sidemount configuration, they range between 45 to 100 pounds of lift (and most use their dry suit as redundancy). As stated by tbone1004, having at least an additional 50 pound lift bag and understanding how to use it is a good back up. We as divers tend to make things too technical sometimes, even in Public Safety Diving, and we forget the basics. I would focus on quality of the material and ease of use (donning in a Rescue not Recovery situation) more than I would on the exact specifics of the BCD.

I was wondering what the lift was on the LGS BC's, their website doesn't seem to list specs.

paperdesk, don't quote me on what I listed. When I first purchased my Lifeguard Systems BCD from them (years ago), that was a question I too asked them. I honestly don't remember what they said other than it was close to 50 pounds. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that since they were a Public Safety Company, selling Public Safety Gear, with 2 of the most well known Public Safety Divers in the world at the head, that they would be smart enough to put enough lift into their flagship model.

no one can answer that but you. What exposure protection are you wearing? What tanks are you using? How much extra gear are you carrying and how much does it weigh? The requirements for an al80 with an al19 bottle in a drysuit *where 28lbs would be more than enough*, are very different than if you are diving a HP130 with an AL40 in a 7mm farmer john, where a 40lb wing would be the minimum. 100lbs is excessive no matter how you look at it, the OMS 94lb wings don't count because of the bondage straps on them making them act more similar to 55-60lb wings. Only you can calculate the wing size you need based on your specific gear configuration.

I could have been more clear. I wasn't meaning to ask how much lift I personally needed, but I was wanting to know much other PSD divers found appropriate. Since I am new to this, I don't have a perfect idea of what equipment and load I will end up with.

holy expensive batman, good lord that isn't cheap for jacket bc...

Anyway, Bryan, load the rig up as you would for a dive and stand on a scale. Have someone fill the bc with water until it is full and record the delta in weight from no water to full of water, that will tell you how much it actually has when it is fully rigged. Important to make sure everything is on there though because it will restrict the bladders.

Unfortunately no one can tell you how much lift is appropriate because it depends on the diver. With jacket bc's it will mostly be determined by how big you are. So if you're my size and need a big ass BC, it may have 60lbs of lift, whether you need it or not. The same rules for recreational diving apply to PSD diving for lift, you have to have enough to offset any and all buoyancy changes, typically from wetsuit compression and gas consumed. Anything you plan on recovering from the bottom, especially if it is more than about 5lbs, you should use a lift bag, otherwise it is rather unsafe because if you drop it, you shoot to the surface.

In Washington, you should be in a drysuit, and since they aren't supplying, it should be the same rig for what you plan on diving regularly. I'd go for something around a 40lb wing because of exposure protection and the likelihood of using a lot of lead on your rig because of thick undergarments. DSS plate with weight plates and the LCD40 is where I would put my money...

tbone1004, that is a great idea. I have Nitrox students coming in about 30 minutes so I won't be able to do it this evening, but I will focus on doing this tomorrow and get back with you and paperdesk. I will try to shoot a YouTube video as well and get it uploaded to show the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom