New Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boarderguy

Chief Narctopus Wrangler
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After a couple decades using cheap primaries I'm looking to get something that can truly cut through our dark murk in the Puget Sound. I'm not interested in can lights since I really don't like Goodman handles. I prefer to have it clipped to a retractor so I can drop it out of my way and switch to my camera or swap hands for scooting. Narrow and flood options are nice but not necessary. Strobe is nice, but not necessary as my current primary and backup have that. Really I'm just trying to get an idea on what's working well right now and the cost I need to plan for. Thanks

Need to think about burn time and budget to compare options.
Right now I'm looking for a 2-3 hour burn time for repetitive dives throughout the day. My normal dive day is a single 1-1.5 hour dive and an occasional 2 dive day. On rare occasion i get a full day for 3 dives. A spare battery can suffice if burn time is only 2 hours and I'm planning more time under water. The purpose of this thread is to give me an idea on what to budget for, not what my budget currently is.

Have a look at the DIve Rite CX2. About 3.5 hour burn time. I use them for recreational primary (see right hand in my avatar photo) and as cave diving backups. $160. Pretty bright.

CX2

The only REALLY high quality handheld which has a viable beam width is the Focus 2.0, but it's also hugely expensive.
If you were fine with just a tight beam then I'd say look at the lx20+

Do you care about output? Your choices are eitehr constant output and then off or a slope of output until it turns off.

Constant output as best as it can be really. That's pretty standard with lithium nowadays though.

Constant output as best as it can be really. That's pretty standard with lithium nowadays though.
That's not my impression though. Not the case with Big Blue (which I own). My last purchase was from Kraken. result helped me decide.

The lx20+ is constant output. Until the recently released DGX lights that was something you just didn't find on budget lights.

The lx20+ is constant output. Until the recently released DGX lights that was something you just didn't find on budget lights.
Thank you. The x4 18650 looks to be a pretty solid base due the lx20+. Between that and dual 26650 of the Orcatorch 850 gives plenty of light/time.

With a T-handle on my blacktip I may try a buddies can light to see if swapping hands is easier now. I just hated having to contort my hand with that stupid thumb trigger while controlling the light and scoot.

Damn indecision coupled with good ideas from everyone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom