New plaques at the Connie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinecube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was out at the Connestoga over the weekend (62F by the way) and noticed two new plaques up-stream of the wreck. There were quite a few people around and I didn't get a chance to read them. I'm not sure when I'll be be back a the wreck, does anyone know what they say?

I was out at the Connestoga over the weekend (62F by the way) and noticed two new plaques up-stream of the wreck. There were quite a few people around and I didn't get a chance to read them. I'm not sure when I'll be be back a the wreck, does anyone know what they say?

I was just there today. Did not see any new plaques. I did see a little RIP memorial cross beside the info pavillion on shore beside the Connie. But at the wreck was the same old plaque inside the hull and I did not see anything as I drifted into it. Maybe I missed it. Will check next time.

We had to change our plans last week and actually got back to the Connie again as part of a drift dive. It can be easy to miss the plaques when you're focused on the wreck. The plaques are upstream of the wreck. I forgot to check my depth at the plaques themselves but they would be at a depth of about 10'-15'. I know 20' is too deep since we missed it on our initial drift down. If you enter the water near the changeroom things and descend quickly before you drift too far you should be able to find them.

Anyway so the plaques are SOS plaques. One is in english, the other is in french. Apparently someone took a piece of the wreck home (illegal to remove anything from a wreck in ontario), the SOS guys along with a museum in Quebec managed to retrieve it and return it to the site.

P.S. To the french divers who were diving the wreck... in a lightning storm... huddled around the metal smokestack in the water... You guys are insane!

Back
Top Bottom