New photos from Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElChe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've visited a dive center near Rogoznica, one in Karlobag and a third one in Pag island. The weather wasn't perfect, it was colder and there was some raining as well, but as a diver I didn't care too much about being wet.:) The water temperature was 19 degrees in the south and 17 in Pag island at the surface, at 35 meters it was 14 degrees.

ad02.jpgad07.jpgad10.jpgad11.jpg
bb13-05.jpgbb13-07.jpgbb13-08.jpg
amfffora.jpggeeb2.jpg

Those are some gorgeous photos! I love the little guy in the bottle -- is he a blenny? And how cool, to find the amphorae . . .

Thank you for putting these up, and giving us a chance to see some diving from a part of the world most of us haven't visited.

Thanks!
Well, I can write a few more words about the sites. I confess I took all of these photos during shore dives (yes, even the amphorae, they're lying at 20 meters depth close to a dive center's house reef), and I found these animals between 5-10 meters. This week I had only two boat dives, they were nice too but for me the slow and easy shallow dives are as exciting as deep dives. After a few dives you learn to find the hiding animals, and know what to look for. In the south they told me I can find sea hares after 4 PM - and it was true, I counted 7 of them, one of them was really huge, about 35-40 centimeters long! Later I saw some bottles and checked if anybody lives inside- I was lucky with this friendly blenny.
The next dive center's house reef is known about these amphorae, but I found there some crabs, fish, etc. And the last place is famous about the seahorses, I found this brown one at 4 meters depth. Other guys found cuttlefish, while I saw a small octopus, some nudibranch, etc.
I think the sea is getting better every year in Croatia, nowadays I had many great dives there.

I'm surprised the Amphoras are there at all and haven't been collected. Are they in a protected site of some kind?

Well, it's very close to a dive center (it's a shore dive directly at the center) and the village, maybe it wouldn't be easy to steal them. There weren't too much diving activities in this village before, so when the dive center opened and dived they the house reef found these amphoras. (Later they discovered somebody heard about and stole the ones in the shallow, so only the depth is their protection now.) I love amphoras so love this dive site as well...

Back
Top Bottom