New Orange Power Planas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Stumbled across these today in Tokyo, they don't seem to be on any websites and seem to have appeared out of nowhere. Hopefully they'll make white too.

image.jpeg

nice looking but ouch .. $220 US .. i'll keep my black PP's that i paid $129 cdn

As an aside. Japanese divers seem to like white color fins

I have no inside knowledge of the Mares company and I am also a European outsider looking inwards when it comes to Japanese diving equipment, but it appears to me that Mares here has made a "special edition" of its Power Planas to enter the Japanese market and to compete with Gull, whose Mantis fins bear a certain resemblance to the open-heel Power Planas:
1103011072-009_a.jpg

To my untutored eyes, the archetypal Japanese fin is made from natural rubber in a range of single solid colours such as white, black, orange, red, blue. The orange version of Mares' current natural rubber Power Planas matches this national preference and the Italian company may well be planning to introduce a wider range of colours if this special edition proves successful. The use of natural rubber for fins makes an interesting volte-face for Mares, which made great rubber fins up to the early 1980s, then abandoned rubber fin manufacture altogether in favour of its patented composite fins with plastic blades and thermoplastic elastomer foot pockets. Personally, as a traditionalist, I'm all in favour of this return to natural rubber, which for me is the most comfortable fin material in the world. I only wish that more European diving equipment manufacturers would follow suit and that Mares itself might now consider producing a full-foot version of their new Power Planas for me to snorkel with.

Last edited:
My wife is Japanese. I don't know if it is because she is a woman, Japanese, or both. It's normal for her to chose gear because it looks cute.

Black has been my normal color choice, but I've recently become more concerned about visibility underwater. Divers with yellow fins are really easy to see. Definitely a benefit when water is murky. I am thinking of putting some reflective tape on my wife and I fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom