New or 2nd hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys! First post so go easy on me. Recently got my owd in Cuba. What a place by the way. Just wondering what your thoughts are on new and used gear. Hoping to continue diving back home in Ireland and I'm working to a fairly strict budget. Would you recommend buying a new set of basic regs or amore expensive used set. Same question applies to BCD. I understand that these are the most important bits of kit but something has to give. Might be able to afford new regs and new BCD but they would be fairly basic models.
Any help, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.
cheers.:)
Im actually looking at a set of used regs on sale. They are aqua lung Titan lx with calypso octo and suunto console for €380. What u reckon? Trained with a scubapro t-sport so looking to buy something similar for a good price but might also last if I get a bit more technical.

You can get extremely good used gear for a LOT less than buying new. If you are careful who you buy from there is little to no risk. There are really good buys available almost all the time right here on scubaboard.

All used regulators should be taken in for inspection and service before you use them, and you have to factor that into the price. It makes some used gear not nearly as attractive as it appears at first glance.

It's also not a bad idea to have someone knowledgeable cast eyes on stuff before you buy it. They may be able to spot features that are less than desirable. We had a friend buy a used BC once where the method used to secure the weight pockets was both complicated and not very secure. He found that out, as he kept losing them . . . We could have told him from looking at it, had we seen the gear before he bought it.

The Titan is a superb regulator.

Aqualung has done a great job at keeping the internal parts of their regulators fairly uniform, so almost any Aqualung product made in the past 30 years, you can find parts for it.

If you're looking to go super cheap, Aqualung Conshelfs are quite inexpensive. The XIV (14) is the classic solid brass industrial-strength regulator, while the 21 and SE2 are still quite popular. They can be had on the used market for under 100 USD quite easily.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on new and used gear. Hoping to continue diving back home in Ireland and I'm working to a fairly strict budget. Would you recommend buying a new set of basic regs or amore expensive used set. Same question applies to BCD. . . . Any help, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.
A general comment, to echo several remarks already posted. Used gear is a very reasonable way to go IF you a) do your homework in advance on the brand / model / features of gear you are looking at, b) don't settle for something that isn't really what you want, just because it is cheap, and c) are disciplined in deciding in advance what you are willing to pay, for what you want.

I have bought a lot of used scuba gear on eBay over the years, and never had a problem with it (except once I got a cracked reg second stage housing that had to be replaced). I can service my own gear so buying used makes sense. But, I have passed on many, many more items than I have bought, because the price was simply unreasonable. I see items being offered, and even being sold, for ridiculous prices. My rule of thumb for used - for any item that I am considering, I find the best / lowest online new price, and pay no more than 50% of that, ever, and usually quite a bit less. If I can't get an item at that price, I pass and let some other sucker - uh, I mean, enthusiastic buyer - have it.

Regarding purchase of fancy or basic models of gear:

I tend to go basic. The working parts of a basic model are typically the same / similar, the differentiation if often just extra features. These features tend to add complexity and additional failure points. I am not saying all features are bad, but most are of questionable utility. Going basic does not mean always the very cheapest, but they overlap a bit.

I do not hesitate to purchase used if the price is right. The problem being is many new divers pay top dollar to gear from their LDS, dive a bit and give up. They then try to sell the over-priced gear for a price close to what you can but new online for. Once you factor in no warranty and $100 to get them serviced before you dive them, you might as well buy on-line.

I have found some used tanks for a good deal and used dry suits (for about 1/3 of new). So there are some bargains out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom