new okinawa based site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
hey all, check out www.okidiver.com its a brand new site with all kinds of info and an oki based messageboard

yea its a great site and i know alot people on it but over the last year it has taken a much more tek aproach to diving and at times the moderators and user can be pretty aggressive if you dont hold the same opinions as them.

drglnc:
yea its a great site and i know alot people on it but over the last year it has taken a much more tek aproach to diving and at times the moderators and user can be pretty aggressive if you dont hold the same opinions as them.

Thanks Charles, appreciate the kind words.

You're 100% correct! Some of us are very opinionated and aggressive. We believe in safe, smart and fun diving. We also believe divers should be given the chance to dive with confidence and be competent in doing so. It is the belief of some of us that divers need to recognize that diving is a sport that can and does kill. If you don't take it serious, it will take you. If you don't believe me, just read a few threads on the popular forums, this one included.

Our biggest $crew up, is that we care about each other. If it takes "tough talk" to open someone's eyes, then one or more of the forum members will step up to the plate. Membership in any forum is by choice.

I wish you all the luck with your forum.

"C"
Co-Moderator Scuba Discussions
www.GoatDawgs.com

wow! I know, believe, and understand your passion and care for diving and other divers. never said otherwise, never tried to imply other wise, however the tone in your post is an example of my hardship with that site. i appreciate the good luck sentiment although its not my site, i am simply a member and thought others should know of its existance, ecpecialy those divers geared more to the rec side of diving who may be intimadated by the tecnical subject matter of goatdawgs. sorry to get your feathers ruffled.

Charles,

If you read my post as having a "tone" to it other than the passion of promoting safe diving and emphasizing that many tend to sugar coat the seriousness of divers not taking diving serious, then I understand now why you take issue with much of what is posted on GoatDawgs. My "feathers" have not been ruffled, so no need to apologize.

Since I have not seen the new forum, when you brought it up, I thought it was your forum. Gomen Nasai.

I am confused where you are getting your idea that GoatDawgs is more tech than recreational. It's quite the opposite. Possibly the "atmosphere" of DIR is being mistaken for being purely tech. Divers, especially those related to the military tend to have an inate curiosity of the "more than typical recreational" scene. GoatDawg's "personality" was created by that sort of individuals.

The key is, we all have the opportunity to chose where we participate and where and what we read. The new forum you are a member of will draw it's own style of members, while GoatDawgs will continue to draws it's own unique membership. You are always welcome to participate on GoatDawgs and present your experiences and point of view.

Keep in mind that I am speaking for myself only. I believe strongly in the saying "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Have a good one and see ya 'round the rock.

Actually, there aren't many tech certified divers on the website. I can only think of 3 or 4 regular users who have completed that.

There are quite a few folks who either have a DIR style kit or are in the process of procuring one. Some folks think that means you are a tech diver but that is far from the truth. It just means that that person has decided to be a bit open minded and try a different style of kit - also one IMO that is a lot more efficient and comfortable.

There are a good number of us who do desire to continue our training, in my case hopefully to the tech level at some point in the future.

Sure, the debates get heated from time to time. Primarily it comes out because people believe strongly in what they feel. Also, some folks tend to hit the send button before they re-read their posting and don't realize that what they are saying comes out stronger than planned. And there are also a few trolls who just like to stir up trouble for some reason.

Oh well, just my 2 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom